Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Ugh, Not this Again?

Must be free listing time as Novella and Keppler have thrown their entire overpriced inventory lists on ebay...totally absurd, this has been going on now for a few years and what amazes me is how unrealistic the prices still are vs. the market.

TOTALLY ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    My first clue was Mike Wheat and Kit Young.

If you spend alot of time surfing, you can exclude those sellers from your searches. Go to Search>by seller> exclude.

I also notice that ebay doesn't give you much time to prepare. I get the email about the special, and it expires that night. It's like they cater to these goofballs that have a software program with all their overpriced merchandise.
  • Options

<< <i>Must be free listing time as Novella and Keppler have thrown their entire overpriced inventory lists on ebay...totally absurd, this has been going on now for a few years and what amazes me is how unrealistic the prices still are vs. the market.

TOTALLY ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Keppler offered a few 1934 Goudey PSA 8 cards with a BIN price that was 85% of SMR. Recent auctions of such card have gone for upwards of 150%+ of SMR. The cards were all gone within 3 hours.

So overpriced? Maybe, but not on all cards.

I frankly just hate his payment terms. They only take checks or money orders which I think is strange. If I can't use a crdit card to protect my buy than I'll buy elsewhere.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

If you keep track of pricing...you can probably find out what they bought them for as well.
  • Options

<< <i>I frankly just hate his payment terms. They only take checks or money orders which I think is strange. If I can't use a crdit card to protect my buy than I'll buy elsewhere. >>

The guy's been around as long as anyone - I'm sure he can give you more than enough references if need be. On the list of people I'd be concerned about getting scammed by, he'd rank down there with the Dali Lama.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Unbelievable that someone can criticize maybe the two greatest guys in the business for trying to earn a living. They are honest, long-time dealers who will work with you on price. Kris has a huge inventory and he has a lot of cards that are fairly priced. Steve's inventory is smaller but he too is flexible on prices.

There word on a deal has the credit-worthiness of a AAA bond.

Good luck guys.

Jim
  • Options
    Last I checked, criticism was still legal in this country. So is voting with one's pocketbook.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I buy from Kris fairly regularly, you certainly won't have any problems with him. He's one of about a dozen or so dealers you never have to worry about in the least.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    c'mon John, don't be shy!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I don't like his methods payment but his feedback speaks for itself. I certainly cannot argue that point.
  • Options
    I have bought from both of these guys over the years always without a problem. But let me ask the other side of the question, where are the dealers with big inventories, high quality that don't start their prices out pretty high ?? Seems they are just trying to make a living and are really priced no different than any other fixed price list I have seen. Anyone got a list of dealers that sell fixed price list cards at SMR or below?
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I frankly just hate his payment terms. They only take checks or money orders which I think is strange. If I can't use a crdit card to protect my buy than I'll buy elsewhere. >>

The guy's been around as long as anyone - I'm sure he can give you more than enough references if need be. On the list of people I'd be concerned about getting scammed by, he'd rank down there with the Dali Lama. >>

Hey beef...are you following me? You're on me like a horny hooker image
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone got a list of dealers that sell fixed price list cards at SMR or below? >>

Some guys do on high pop common PSA 8s they want to move. Anything decent....forget about it.
  • Options
    There you go! That's the John we've come to know and love, telling it like it is. No more of this editing out our comments, OK John?

Truth be told, dealers are getting wiser. Some actually know the populations and tough commons. The pendulum had swung back into the collectors' favor for a while there. Now it's a tougher climb, but I'm hopeful. Some low pop cards I've been after lately go for astronomical prices. Guess guys like Davalillo will have to wait a while longer for those massive submissions to bring the prices down.image
  • Options

With the lack of quality grading specials in the past year.....dealers are probably a bit more selective in what they submit. If this is true...then its a good sign for the collector looking for PSA 8 quality 60's & 70's common cards at shows.
  • Options
    Free listing time is like the full moon fever syndrome... but... I have to say that I have bought a few truly great cards from Keppler... at a fabulous price...
    Their vintage basketball selection is often reasonable in psa 8 and psa 9's...
  • Options
    Happy(but not surprised) to see collectors have good things to say about Steve and Kris.

Would be surprised if any dealers cared about a grading special one poster here said. Most dealers can certainly submit any card for no more than $6 per card.

As was discussed on a recent thread low pop cards coming down in price on several early vintage sets--a trend that either is spreading or will spread to all the semi-modern 60s sets. I believe my prediction that putting together any topps baseball set in psa 8 from the 1960s will be time consuming but not really difficult will turn out to be true.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Basilone, you are partly correct about the grading specials. The major thing that has caused a slow down in submissions is a lower resale price after they are graded. I graded about twice as many cards in 2002 as 2003. I quit grading everything 1976 and later in bigger quantities. Just a few cards here and there.
  • Options

Dav-

Okay.....there are many dealers out there that pay the regular rate to PSA...even if they are authorized dealers. Lots of people sell on eBay that are not full-time and may only do a couple of shows a year.

Wabittwax- I agree...that the lower resale prices of the higher pop commons has slowed down the submissions.

• Options
    I do not know why any dealer would pay more than $6 per card if he has any quantity to submit when so many dealers can get substantially less--surprised more collectors do not submit through the larger submitters out there. I do not expecxt to pay over $5 per card on my next submission and I know the dealer I am giving them to is making something.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    PSA offers a break to submitters if they have sufficient quantity to submit. And that makes sense, why should a submitter pay the same rate if he's sending in 2000 cards then a guy who submits 100?. I am an Authorized dealer and EVERY batch that I have sent to PSA has been the same cost as all of you. I'm not complaining, since my submissions are 50 cards here & a 100 there, so I surely do not warrant any price break. And for that reason, I look at PSA's monthly specials carefully to see where I can save a little $...jay
  • Options
    I also want to add, I have dealt w/ Steve Novella & Kris Keppler on many occasions, and 2 more honest & knowledgable individuals do not exist. If I want cards from either, they ship on my word, as I do for them...jay
  • Options
    Thanks Jay for the additional kind words for Steve and Kris.

I don't want to tell you how to run your business but why not submit more cards less often--give them to a large submitter. You certainly could save $3 per card and even for a big hitter like you 500 cards at $3 per would be meaningful.

Hey--and what have you got for me this time at the Fort?

Jim
  • Options
    DAV - Your gettting harder to sell to, as each passing day you need less and less. And all of the sets I am working on, you have them already and usually at a higher grade average. Even though, I have nothing you need presently, who knows what will transpire in the upcoming weeks and months...jay
  • Options
    Jay,

Don't say that--you have a shot at moving up from 5th a year ago in the dealer ratings released next month.
  • Options
    Jay,

I was thinkinng of staying at 7.82 for awhile as a tribute to your 1965 set.

Jim
  • Options

<< <i>Don't say that--you have a shot at moving up from 5th a year ago in the dealer ratings released next month >>

Is there cash awards and trophys given to the top ten? image

<< <i>I was thinkinng of staying at 7.82 for awhile as a tribute to your 1965 set. >>

Actually, I ended the '65 set w/ a 96.6% completion and an 8.00 average, so your getting there image ...jay
  • Options
    This post wasnt meant to bash either Keppler or Novella, I am sure both bring many great things to the hobby...it was just meant to voice my frustration with all of the buy it nows that get thrown up on ebay on these free listing days and the fact that most (but clearly not all) of the prices seem unrealistically high...and most are the same cards that have been listed over and over again.

EO
  • Options
    EO - I just checked Steve Novella's eBay auctions and he ran just SIX on the .10 cent day. Many collectors added a ton more then that. I see no need to even air his name over this matter...jay
  • Options
    EO,

Why does it bother you that BINs are placed on free day? Especially when the prices aren't high. In fact, they are very much realistic prices for such outstanding cards.

There's a ton of things one can comlain about that takes place on eBay...but this really doesn't qualify.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Mike Wheat's 13,000 + sportscard listings tend to clog up a number of my saved searches.
    It used to bug me, now it just serves as a reminder to get some cheap listings together.
  • Options
    As much as I used to like Mike Wheat I do get a little sick of the way he over grades is low end cards. He's not as bad as some of the other big name catalog dealers but he's getting closer in my opinion.