Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opening PBA ( Pack Busters Anonymous )

Ok...it happened again....just when I thought I was getting out, I was pulled back in!

So I go into the local card shop ( where you know you're in trouble if every salesperson drops what they are doing to come rushing over ) thinking I'll just open a pack or two of Prime Cuts seeing as I missed this one and it looked like another "Timeless Treasures" which I actually made $$$ on.

Unsuspecting, I open the box at $150 per to find....one card!!! Slabbed with no BGS grade....underneath...three "common" base cards not worth the cardboard they are printed on.

Ok...first pull...a Clemens jersey auto #ed to 50...not good enough...where is my Ruth...my Gehrig...my 1/1 cut auto??

I open another...a Hideo Nomo jersey only #ed to 50.....uh oh..that sinking feeling....

More, I had to beat the odds...I needed more...sorry Mike, no more....that should have been a sign of heavenly intervention...Lord knows how many boxes I would have opened if they were there.

But, wait...there are Presidential autos!!! Yeah...thats the ticket....one jumbo box, two...three..four...I looked at base cards of Topps before me and knew I would give these ugly things away...but I did get a Kerry Woods and Furcal jersey...thats at least $8 I thought quickly...

More, more...I don't even collect Football, but the salesperson tilted the new Bowman Chrome football released today....one box. two boxes...Pristine football was next before the store was closing.....

Well, it wasn't Vegas, but I sure had that old rush again......

The moral of the story......

I think I need a card intervention or I'm startin the first chapter of PBA, Pack Busters Anonymous!

Hi...my name is Mike and I'm a cardaholic!

CHL

Comments

• Options
    JmnesqJmnesq Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Yikes. You really have an addiction. You realize that BCDP is coming out in a week or two..

You have too much money. Go bid on my auctions.
    Jeff

Collecting Bowman Chrome Phillies Rookie Cards and Mike Schmidt certified auto cards.
  • Options
    hi mike, i too, am a member of pba...fortunately my local shop was out of primecuts lol however, i did pick up 2 boxes of bowman's rookies and stars basketball and several packs of flair and some other stuff...something about ripping open packs. i did ok i suppose- lebron, carmelo chrome, carmelo refractor, 2 autos, etc. my card shop owner told me that some guy came in and dropped 1k on prime cuts- and his 'best' cards were a ryan auto/19 and hideo nomo something or other. i wasn't impressed for $1k...and as i said, fortunately he was out of primecuts so i didn't take that pricey gamble.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    CHL - If it will help you with your pack addiction, I will purchase any base cards from that set at $1 each. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I think it was the desperation when I got to opening base Topps cards printed on space age plastique looking for a 1:175,000 Presidential auto that I realized I had to go "cold turkey".

I told my wife to lock me in my room for 24 hours to sweat it out........

CHL
  • Options
    i also bought some of those topps packs (5)...i couldn't do a whole box as the cards were just too ugly...but part of me had to gamble on the 1:175,000 presidential auto. if only there were a way to go back to the days where saving up for packs (which were a whopping quarter back then) took much longer.
  • Options
    man... I have been there too... then I found ebay...
    ebay is better...
    and at $150 a box?! wow... just think... 2 boxes and you could have had a psa 8 1975 brett rookie and a psa 8 1971 ernie banks... or something like that.
    That's why Vintage is so much more gratifying for me.

every now and then... the fever hits... open one or two packs at the store and take a few packs home...
    or
    just say "no."
  • Options
    Another boring post coolhandrick
  • Options
    Time to crawl back phony to your Open Forum cesspool.

You are nothing but a clueless, obviously uninformed moron without the courage to put up or shut up.

Again loser:

Ebay user name?

Last sportscard purchase?

Your profile for all to see genius?

Thats what I thought.....silence .....

CHL

and you don't like a post moron...keep goin...........no one asked your opinion

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Hi, my name is Nick, and I'm a packbuster.
    Today I had a relapse.
    I went into a card store, and bought 2 sealed boxes of 2003 Fleer Tradition football (36 packs per box).
    They're still sealed . . . for now. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    LOL Nick M.....I know you can hear their siren song now........get ready to start rippin!!

CHLimage

P.S. Goodriddance ( Will ) has exposed "Deelight" for the phony he obviously was in another post; again, good job Will !