Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

lincoln cent guy's...your opinions please!

I'm thinking about this coin in all seriousness....(as if coin collecting is serious!)image

check out the link

the coin!

also anyone know the seller? or dealt with him?

help always appreciated!

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    It's a little hard to tell from the photos, especially the reverse. It seems to be OK from what I can tell.

• Options
    Looks good to me. Seller has great coins and easy to work with. Buy it if you like it, and the seller has an excellent return policy. Can't really go wrong if you don't spend too much.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    I hope you guys know that is not me. image

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    Looks original, but probably a high AU, not MS. Hard to tell though.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Mike,
    IMHO there must be a reason a supposed "MS64-MS65" 1912 Lincoln Cent is NOT in a PCGS holder. My guess is that it will not be slabbed for some reason. Steveimage
  • Options
    I think that they think it is you "mnmcoin"
    Thats not good

Reverse look weak, is it? Or just poor picture?

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • Options
    64RD and genuine/original. The reason its not in a holder is that its a 64RD. You could purchase it and in all likely hood get it into a slab.

IMO of course
  • Options

It may be tempting for whatever reason, however I would just avoid raw coins on ebay.
  • Options
    >>.It may be tempting for whatever reason, however I would just avoid raw coins on ebay.

Jack - For the coins you buy, yes, I would avoid Ebay raw ones since no one has MS66RD 17-D's raw on Ebay. However you can pick up lower grade raw lincolns and if you are putting a set together and know what to look for in a coin. IMO, Ebay is not bad, especially when it comes to coins from 1930-58 raw and 09-VDB.

Cheers,

Brian
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Maybe it's my monitor, but it looks more RB than RD to me.
    Dan
  • Options

Brian,
    I would agree with your clarification on my statement. I should have specified that I would avoid any raw MS64/65/66+ red coins on ebay.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to agree with the RB designation rather than RD. This looks like there is too much brown.

Just my humble and probably worthless opinion.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I believe the coin has been dipped and recolored.The REV color doesn't look right and the darker color on the OBV at 6 o'clock leads me to believe this.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the input guys!

i may risk it .... gotta see how much the turkey , ham and all the trimmings will affect my judgement!image
  • Options
    That 1912 is just a RB and certainly NOT red. In fact the seller states in his ad that the coin is "mostly red." I'd say it's about 30% red. I've been building Registry sets for folks for years and some of you posters may know me, so you KNOW that I know Lincolns.

The reverse is also weak, something rather unusual in a 1912P cent. To be GENEROUS, I'd say the coin is a MS-64RB with a $60 retail value in Trends.

Personally, I'd call it a MS-63RB with a Trends retail of $40.Of course, the seller may ask what he wishes. It's HIS coin, after all. Buy it if you wish, but you should be able to buy a MS-64 RD, a TRUE red, for around $100 or so, probably PCGS certified. Now that move would seem to me a better choice.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    Ira ...

if you have a 64 red in pcgs ...email me!