Home Q & A Forum
Options

PCGS vs NET EAC Grading

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello Dave.

I am having trouble understanding the "net Grades" several auction catalogues have in their copper descriptions. It seems with PCGS and NGC or any third party grader they are always lowering the grade. What do you think of this practice??

I must say the grades I get from PCGS are usually closer to the EAC grade and I am not just saying that, Anacs would be a close second.

Thanks

Tbig

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    I'm not really an expert at the concept, but I think net grading is what EAC does with porous large cents or cents with other problems. So it's like "VF detail but porous, EAC grade Fine 12." For PCGS a porous planchet is a negative which does subtract from the grade, but if it is really porous it would be a no-grade for enviromental damage. I think ANACS adopted the EAC approach, but they actually say "Net Grade" on the holder when they are net grading a problem coin. I don't believe PCGS will net grade a problem coin (with the exception of really rare territorial gold coins or really rare colonials" and in my opinion NGC does not net grade either.

David