Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Sending Cards to PSA

Is it OK to send them priority insured with a delivery confirmation? This is about $8
cheaper than registered. Opinions please

Comments

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    it is not a problem, you can send any way you want. don't even need priority if you don't want. the confirm probably isn't necssary either as you will get a signature from the insurance and all my orders have always been logged in at psa the same day , usually before the postal web site is updated. good luck
  • Options
    It depends upon the value of the cards. You will probably want to have them insured, but $800.00 is about the break even point between first class insured and registered. Unless you package is heavy, Priory mail is just an added cost. I have seen some studies that show Priority Mail and First Class mail to be similar in time. Delivery conformation is just an added cost. You will get it back after it is logged onto the web site. I properly insure my packages, so that if they happen to get lost by the Post Office, I would consider them sold and take the money.
  • Options
    achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    all I do is insure at the post office.

Josh
    The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • Options
    I agree with marty. I stick with registered mail all the time because I only send high value lots in. It's simply not worth taking a chance for an extra few dollars.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    Any advice for guys sending cards to PSA from Canada? Is there anyone on this board from up here in the great white north that does it? Any help would be appreciated, as some of you may or may not know, we get duties and taxes placed on many things coming to us from the U.S. I was just wondering if there were ways to avoid paying all the extras that I will probably end up paying.
    Thanks,
    Jay
  • Options
    For high end mailings (over $500 for me), I'd go registered mail- just for peace of mind. However, for lower end mailings, PRIORITY mail has always worked.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Priority mail is a waste of money. Arrives at the same time as regular first class.

The only time I use priority is when I need one of those free priority boxes.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    80sToyGuy- I send from Canada through Platinum Promotions (Len Pottie). His email is platinumpromo@accesswave.ca. You pay no duty but you do pay a 15% HST tax on your entire order. The other option is to send directly to PSA and tell them to mark on the package that it is returned merchandise, although that does not always work.
  • Options

<< <i>Priority mail is a waste of money. Arrives at the same time as regular first class. >>

well, first class automatically becomes priority once it gets over a certain wieght. so if you are sending more than a few cards, it will end up costing the samething in most cases.
  • Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭
    Having lost a package in the mail that WAS insured - I would highly recommend registered.
    Registered mail is locked and hand delivered from location to location and is the safest way to send cards to PSA.
    Both insured and registered are basically "insured" but I like the security of the hand delivery.

Where it gets dicey is once the package is damaged or lost - assigning the value you expect from the insurance..... even though you purchased a predefined amount of insurance.

We were lucky that the package we lost contained some 25 ultra high end current star rookies (bagwell / rodriguez / thomas)
    We insured the expected value of a minimum "9" grade according to the current SMR.
    We sent the package insured for $600.00

The package never made it to CA - and was never heard from or seen again. Funny part was that another package was sent insured at the same time - and that one did make it.

We were challenged to provide proof that the value was what we said it was - so I sent pages from the current SMR with the players and PSA 9 values highlighted.
    The post office challenged our assessment and instead of paying the value we assigned (and insurance coverage payed for) they assigned the lowest possible value from the SMR (psa 6 I think) and sent us a check for $60.00.

We challenged the decision, of course, but the arbitration panels' decision was final. $60.00 was less than we paid for the cards in the first place....

I guess the morale here is - don't lose a package on the way TO California; its a heck of a lot easier to assign value to shipments coming from CA....
    But, if the cards meaning anything to you - pay a little extra for the "hand deliveries" and even thought I never ship to PSA outside without registered mail - I still hold my breath until the submission is visually on the web sight AND then when the registered pick up slip shows up in my mail box.

Hope this helps....

Steve

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    Thanks aro.
    Could you give me an idea of what it costs for pre-75 cards per card in Canadian?
    Thanks for your time, I emailed but was told he is out of town until December the 5th so any info I get before then is a bonus.
    Jay
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with marty. I stick with registered mail all the time because I only send high value lots in. It's simply not worth taking a chance for an extra few dollars. >>

I have to completely disagree...

No, I'm just busting Bosox's chops. I send everything to PSA via FedEx, most of the stuff I send in (commons) doesn't have a great deal of value before grading, and I've never (knock on wood) had a FedEx box lost...
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    80sToyguy- Costs are $10 US for cards valued over $50 and $8 per card US for cards valued under $50. His conversion rate is probably 1.35 right now. He also will honour any registry specials that involve price. The cards he ships are all returned under a 1 month time frame.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, I guess I'm finally going to get some cards graded.
    Jay
  • Options
    Go registered!!!!

The PO lost a rare variation for my T-205 set and even though I got back the money I paid for the cards via insurance it was not nearly the same. I'm going registered from now on.