Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

THANKS RICHARD GREEN: YOU'RE MAKING IT INTERESTING!

I swore to myself I would not fill the hole on the 98 SMS Kennedy in MS70 unless the coin was truly a solid MS70. I haven't seen one that would quality in the past year of looking. Well, today, #1 set offered me back the former Steve Heller/Registrycoin MS70 I sold to him 4-5 years ago for a fair price. RG told me it was the second nicest MS70 from the 12-15 coins that have passed through his hands over the past 4-5 years, which is why he kept it.

With this latest addition, I am now only (yeah - "only") 38/100 of a point away from catching RG!! RG - I am going to catch you one day - don't say I didn't warn you image

All kidding aside, thanks for making it interesting image

Wondercoin

P.S. I named my set the "I Collected Kennedys As A Kid Collection". Now, someone is moving up with the name "I Did Not Collect Kennedys As A Kid Collection" - Bruce is that you? image
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitch, I haven't seen a ton of these in SMS70 and am curious what it is you spot that makes the grade? Is it luster vs matte? Or is there a hidden mark or two that is common and finding one without is tough?
    The 70's and even the 69's I've seen for the most part have appeared perfect.

What is it you are seeing that I'm missing? (That's a sincere question.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    This is getting interesting. Congrats on (one of) the (real) 70(s).
    ps. Is Rich's wife the owner of the "I did not..." collection??? image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat: Since RG had seen upwards of 15 of them to select Registrycoin's specimen as the 2nd best, I posed your question to him today. Here is his answer:

"Nothing visible to the naked eye. Under magification, a few microscopic dark areas on the portrait. Mostly a technical difference."

Pat - I would add to that reply the following -

PCGS grades MS70 based upon 5x magnification. That is the standard as far as I know it - "perfect" under 5x. I have personally been searching for a coin that is "perfect" to my personal standard -"perfect" under 10x. That is where I have had a snag - I wanted my coin to be perfect under a stricter standard than the actual "standard" (and have been content to wait to locate a super nice coin).

Of course, if you can find a mark or scuff with a 5x, the coin would not even meet PCGS' standard.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Kennedy half dollars is cool set. Congrats to both Mitch and Richard for their top knotch collections. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Richard has always been a top notch guy. He has an outstanding eye for nice coins. I've seen several that he's passed up that many would be more than happy to have. His set my truely be a set to drool over! He adds a touch of class to the Registry and is always willing to help out when he can. Thanks Richard! Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mitch. I was wondering if it was simply a test under magnification or if there was a certain "look" to the naked eye you were looking for.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Congrats Mitch.
    Edson
  • Options
    Congrats. By the way you sound like you are having too much fun.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    ttt - need to push garbage to the bottom