Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Picked these up today... My first darksiders...

Bank of upper canada tokens. Saw them at the local coin shop and thought that they were cool...

Comments

• Options
    They are really cool. I have a few in my Canada collection. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    They're quite nice -- and surprisingly inexpensive!!image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Gotta have their big brothers (higher denomination) from the UK.

imageimage
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, those are nice and cheap in the lower grades- lots of bang for the buck- but finding nice ones can be tough. And like most Canadian tokens of the era, they are very often holed.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is a good price to pay on those babies (each)?
    They are all problem free and original...

John
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $5-7 each in VF (Five for most of the halfpennies and seven for the pennies, generally speaking). Yours look like nice solid VF's to me, based on the pic.

I think one of your halfpennies is an 1854, but I can't read all their dates. Look for a crosslet on the 4. The one I can see looks like a plain 4. The crosslet 4 is worth a little bit more.

These coins bring a lot of Litesiders into the Dark, 'cause they are plentiful and therefore cheap, plus they have a handsome design and some history to them. I think they're a pretty nice value compared to US half cents and large cents of the same era- they're bigger, and I think their mintages were lower than the Liteside coins.

Nice grab, and even if you paid too much for them, so what. You'll make it up in no time with the money you save by going Dark. image

One investment you should make is the Krause Standard Catalogs: at least the 19th and 20th century editions. They will set you back about fifty bucks a volume, but you can often find better deals or used ones. As a matter of fact, I have a 1993 which has both the 19th and 20th centuries under one cover, before they went to the one-volume-per-century thing. And though it is ten years old, I doubt the prices for a lot of the coins in there have changed much, if at all. I can sell the old '93 pretty cheap if you want it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Another variety of these tokens to look for is the 1850 penny with a dot between the cornucopiae tips on the reverse. Those Canadians love their dots.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Nice tokens, CoinLt! I have a couple and I like their design and history.

Congrats on going Dark!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22