Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1799 - Loge de la Philanthropie de Saint Quentin

Unusual for a Masonic medal in that it depicts a man wearing his apron. This is also the oldest of the set and has a
interesting circular break on the reverse:

Vern
You want how much?!!
NapoleonicMedals.org
(Last update 3/6/2007)

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's an apron-looks like part of a military kit, a soldiers pouch perhaps. A sword is on top of a coffin, his hand extended in farewell, a goodby to a comerade? Yet I read : of or pertaining to philanthropy of St. Quentin.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ, I think maybe elverno's piece might be worth just a teeny bit more. image

That Lodge penny I sold you was the nicest I've personally seen, though.

Elverno, do you know anything about Russ' piece? I posted it on the Liteside and over here, but nobody could tell me anything I didn't already know about it. (I did dig up a few facts and deciphered some of the abbreviations.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Nice one Russ! image I can see the Lodge was Chartered in 1815 but that doesn't tell you anything about when the piece was struck. Chapter pennies have their own references that I unfortunately don't own any copies of.

The initials are a common device in Masonic works, typically they are phrases that make sense in the Chapter's home language. For instance a common set used is G. A. O. T. U. meaning Grand Architect of the Universe. Well, you get the point...

A new Mason wears a white apron, symbolizing innocence and often made of lambskin. I should emphasize again that I personally am not a Mason. So, my understanding is necessarily limited to what I've been able to discover through my research.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)