Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Medals of Karl Goetz & Opus 160

At first I was not going to order Kienast's book on Goetz but after awhile I figured what the heck got be some great pictures to look at in it anyhow.

My Favorite has got to be Opus 160:

Pact of Malice (Der Bund der TUcke). Inscription on Obv. "Alliance of Crafty Spite 1915." Inscription on Rev. "Smite him dead! The Day of Judgement will not ask your reasons. H.v. Kleist." Animals representing powers of Entente, thus rooster-France, lions-Belgium and England, bear-Russia, snake-Serbia, chimera-Japan. Baby with Bersaglieri hat, sucking, is Italy.

Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Roman's suckling at the teats of an animal are not new but not frequently observed either. I wonder how many other coins show this? Oh, the Goetz? Well, not bad...image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    The medal is really impressive! As is this one's condition.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    S may just have a little competition on a few peices. image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    HEY!! What are you laughing about? Huh? image
  • Options
    With regard to Opus 289, in addition to the metals utilized in this medal as described by Gunter Kienast in his books "The Medals of Karl Goetz" Volumes I and II, which I researched at the American Numismatic Society library in Manhattan this past Thursday, I own an example of Opus 289 fabricated in silver.

The receipient's name is on the rim along with the words "feinsilber". I tried to attach a photo, but apparently it was too large to post.

Look forward to everyone's comments, and thanks for your time and interest.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Askari. Always good to see you posting.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Askari. Always good to see you posting. >>

Yep, 7 years ago. I'd like to see him frequent the place a bit more often... image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>With regard to Opus 289, in addition to the metals utilized in this medal as described by Gunter Kienast in his books "The Medals of Karl Goetz" Volumes I and II, which I researched at the American Numismatic Society library in Manhattan this past Thursday, I own an example of Opus 289 fabricated in silver.

The receipient's name is on the rim along with the words "feinsilber". I tried to attach a photo, but apparently it was too large to post.

Look forward to everyone's comments, and thanks for your time and interest. >>

Are you saying that you have a 110mm silver example of this piece? There are a number of silver varieties known in 60mm and 36mm with the FEINSILBER stamp on the edge. I have never heard of a "recipient name" on the edge of a Goetz medal. The silver pieces would, however, exhibit BAYER.HAUPTMÜNZAMT on the edge, the stamp of the Bavarian Mint.
  • Options
    Hi, and thanks for clarifying that the stamping on the rim is the name of the Bavarian Mint, not the medal's recipient. I do not speak German and did not realize that was the case!
  • Options
    Let me just say that I wouldn't have been surprised to see a recipient name on the edge. Goetz did all sorts of different stuff in order to market and sell his medals and this wouldn't have been out of line with some of the varieties I've seen. In addition to the types Goetz lists, there is a "naked" variety in addition to the "clothed" example which is the common of the two.
  • Options
    Greetings, Cacheman,

Mine is the 36 mm sized Opus 289 in feinsilber. The workers are fully clothed. How do I ascertain the medal's appraisal value in today's market? The few American Numismatic Society library auction catalogs featuring other Goetz medals with the world Arbeiti were very old, ie 1972 and 1967 and Opus 289 was not the medal being auctioned.

Look forward to your suggested resources/comments in this regard, and thanks again for your time and assistance.
  • Options
    $195-$245 dependent on condition.
  • Options
    Thanks you very much, cacheman, for providing a range of values for my Opus 289.
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Got me another 1 of these (notgeld with Goetz design) at a coin show over the weekend. The pic from the web shown is in a lot better shape than my first one but the new one I got over the weekend is in better shape than the one in the pic. 1923 500 Million Mark Notgeld

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting thread gents.