Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1974 Bahamas Proof set

Once again not very good photos but a nice set.......I think
imageimage
Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
"A work in progress"

Wayne
eBay registered name:
Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    VERY nice set!! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Thanks. The "box" they are in is in bad shape. The fake red felt is coming of as dust and staring to crack. I need some new way to store these coins but I am not sure how/what is best.
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Nice set-I've got the two flamingo's facing, but not the rest... now that you've inspired me, I'll find the rest of it; very attractiveimage
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Or I'm watching here two same sets, Wayne, or you offer us one of those as your most generous giveaway! If I'm right I'm in image
    N. N.
  • Options
    Nice try Nick......image
    It is only one set. I tried two photos and neither one came out very good.
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that the one I sent you, that another forum member bought from me as a gift for you?

If not, it looks just like it!

Too bad about the cheap felt- I know exactly what you mean on those. Still, those are absolutely beautiful sets. I had several that clevegreg gave me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Rob,
    I am ashamed to admit I forgot where I got this. I had a pretty good record of my coins and lost it when my computer crashed.
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    Wayne, I'm ashamed to admit I've forgotten who bought the set (from me) as a gift for you, but if it's the only one you have, it definitely came from me, 'cause I sent you one, and the felt in it was as you described.

I think it might have been Labmom? One of our lady members, that much I know.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I am next to 100% sure you are correct Rob. That makes me even more ashamed. It is unforgiveable to forget such a generous gift.......image
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    Geez Wayne 2 great giveaways in one day.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Hey, it happens. Glad to know I ain't the only forgetful one. image

I'll have to look in my PM history. I cleaned out all the messages that were more than a year old, but I think that might still be in there. Pretty sure it was Labmom or Asnooker.

My ' (new) puter has had two mini-crashes today, and the forums are really sluggish when I try to post a message, for some reason.

• Options
    Bill......... if you log off before I make my decision your out!.........image
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    Can't find it. imageimage

That set, like many of our Darkside coins in forum member's hands, has a long pedigree.

Clevegreg-LordM-asnooker or a2labmom (whoever bought it from me for you- she never saw it in person)- newbiecollector.

It was part of the monster haul of Darkside proof sets that clevegreg sent me and refused any payment for. What a guy- it cost him around thirty dollars just to ship all of it, and I hardly knew him! He said he had bought a huge estate and done well on it, and didn't need the Darkside stuff. I gave some of those sets away, sold some, traded some, and have only one left (a NZ souvenir set of some sort). There had to have been 20-30 sets in that box he gave me! Most were Franklin Mint clamshell-cases of coins struck for island nations, like the Bahamas, Cook Islands, Solomon Islands, and so on. I think clevegreg equated the words "Franklin Mint" with junk, but they made real coins, too, and the sets were all beautiful. All part of an estate in the Midwest.

• Options
    It is the first set i have seen where the coins are heat sealed between two mylar plastic sheets. It was difficult removing them but it protected the coins perfectly.

I think they have found a home for a long time......image
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    Did you see the Cook Islands set Bill just posted? There was one like it in the hoard I got from clevegreg.