Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2002 Gold Proof Set!

Anyone buy one of these?

Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• Options
    Well I did not. If I sold my house and my car I might be able to afford one.......image

I really like the coins and the presentation box.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Although now going for about 2/3 of the original issue price on the secondary market (when 1 shows up), it is still too rich for my blood. The other thing that worries me too is that they would look the same as the regular issue proofs then gold plated.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    The other thing that worries me too is that they would look the same as the regular issue proofs then gold plated.
    Is that a possible problem with issues from the RBM?
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Not with the BRM, but on the secondary market where they could replace the original coins in the presentation case with regular proof issues gold plated. Unless you have a scale handy and can check the weight of each coin then someone could pull a fast one.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The other thing that worries me too is that they would look the same as the regular issue proofs then gold plated. >>

That's exactly what I was about to ask! So they are solid?? How long have they been doing this? (not that I'll be in competition for one! just interested image )
  • Options

<< <i>Not with the BRM, but on the secondary market where they could replace the original coins in the presentation case with regular proof issues gold plated. Unless you have a scale handy and can check the weight of each coin then someone could pull a fast one. >>

Now I understand what you mean... sometimes I am too slow........image
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Also, I imagine you wouldn't be able to get a cameo out of plating?
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! What was the original issue price and mintage?
  • Options
    All the info you need on this set. LINKY-POO
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Sorry, but everytime I see your name, I hear the song..."Look here brother, who jiving with that..." image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What trozau said. The same thing occurred to me. That's the problem with OMS's of small-denoms struck in gold.

Pretty set, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I loved to just get the Maundy set.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Royal Mint should have put a distinguishing privy mark, or something, on those, to prevent slick operators from passing off gold-plated Maundy coins as coins supposedly removed from sets like these.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree; a truly unique set though (and very desirable for gold afficionados )

Well,if it's any consolation , I have the 2002 boxed proof half-sovereign for sale at $120 (shipment included)
    -issue limit 10500 (total mintage including coins in sets)

Also the 2000 (millenium) proof half sovereign for the same price (St George and the dragon reverse)
    -issue limit 7500.

Both come in a nice box that includes another velvet box with the coin in a capsule,and the nicely illustrated certificate of authenticity (serial numbers 0236 for the millenium, 00587 for the 2002)

PM if interested.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    That's a beautiful set! When I look at something in that price range it's usually a car, though. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Come on it ain't that much. For that price I could buy (6) of them for what I paid for (am still paying for) my car.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Is that car a Ferrari Bill? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Nah a loaded 2001 PTCRUISER.
    Bill

09/07/2006