Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 Topps Seaver PSA 9 for only $1,840

I haven't seen too many '69 Seaver 9's in the last couple of years, so I was intrigued to see one on the Superior auction. With an SMR of $525, I figured I could nab this one for $1k or so. WRONG! Was anybody else bidding on this one and surprised by the final $1,840 final price? I've gotten some nice '69 9's and 10's from Superior in the past for fairly reasonable prices, so this one kind of came out of the blue. Wonder what a Brock 9 would go for on Superior?
Dave
1973 Topps PSA 9's+(retired)
1986 Topps PSA Perfect(active)
1997 Flair Legacy's(active)

Comments

• Options
    Dave

I also was surprized by the price on the seaver 9. I thought it was high but it was a great example. The Catfish went for over a grand because of a couple guys really wanting it. That might be the case with seaver. Hey do you still need a stanley #13. Let me know I have an extra coming.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    Dave,

Do you think that a Brock 9nq will ever be graded? You own the only 9q that exists! Also, have you ever considered putting pictures of your 69s up in the registry?

Michael
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was pretty surprised at the Seaver 9. One went on eBay for under a grand several months ago. It's a real tough card to find in any grade without that obnoxious tilt. I can understand the Hunter going for that much since it's a pop 1. Bob will probably turn a profit if he holds it for awhile and sells it during a non-holiday season.

As for the Brock, I'm confident one will eventually turn up. I do see a nearly perfectly centered copy from time to time but the corners are usually a mess. There's still a fair amount of unopened 1st series out there and I'm sure there's at least one Brock hidden in there which is well centered and sharp. My guess is a Brock PSA 9NQ would go for $2500+.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I'll be holding on to this Hunter for awhile. If a Brock 9 ever shows up I dont know how much I would go but it I wouldnt be surprised if I had to pay $2500-$3000.
  • Options
    I bid the Seaver to $1200. It looked pretty nice to me. No tilt.
  • Options
    Dave:

I picked up a #13 for the bargain price of $108. Did you send a lot in for grading and get any other '69s for your set?

Michael:

I have no plans to post any scans on the PSA site any time soon. If I did, it would probably only be the 1/1 or 1/2 cards. Has anybody else posted scans that you know of for '69's?

Bob:

That Hunter was a nice looker; I'm sure you are looking forward to getting that one.
    Dave
  • Options
    Dave,

Currently there are 8 1969 sets that include scans of cards. Four of those sets are in the top 8, #3, 6, 7 & 8. I don't think a card has to be a 1/1 or a 1/2 to be special. With the centering issues prevalent in the set, just seeing centered examples of some cards can be amazing.

By the way, good luck in the home stretch; your GPA is just incredible.

Michael
  • Options
    I've posted some scans for my set (#3). It does take a lot of time, so I plan to post a few from time to time until I get them all on there. My main problem is getting the size correct. For some reason, when I adjust the size of my scans, it changes the resolution. Until I get that problem resolved, I won't be adding any scans. The other problem will be with the 4th series cards. For some strange reason, most come out with green spots when they're scanned. I've never been able to solve that problem, despite help from other forum members.
  • Options
    Michael

I will be posting scans soon on my set. (Dave Jacobs 1969 Set)

Dave Read

I sent in a few 69's and have about 25 left from the buy awhile ago that were SGC 92's and 96's. I will let you know what I get and check your set to see if you can use any. They go tommorow.

Bob and Gemint

I have a really nice brock going in an 8 for sure and a chance at a nine. We will see. I ship it tommorow.

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>
    Bob and Gemint

I have a really nice brock going in an 8 for sure and a chance at a nine. We will see. I ship it tommorow.

Dave >>

Good luck! Did you find it raw through dealer inventory or is it a crossover?
  • Options
    Michael:

Maybe over the Holidays I'll start putting on some scans. Thanks!

Dave:

Good luck on the Brock; I really would like to see you nail a 9 (but I'll pass on buying your 6!)
    Dave
  • Options
    Dave

Hey I got 12 bucks invested in that card its a blazer.image

Dave
  • Options
    Dave:

That's why my last 40 cards are taking sooo long. When other sets got within the finish line, I'd pay whatever to finish them. I know I can find $12 total investment cards to get most of the rest, with a couple of notable exceptions. I refuse to pay $110 for a PSA 9 Mayo Smith. I missed the end of a Yaz AS PSA 8 2 weeks ago that went for $100. I found the same card on PSAcardguy's website for $30 a week ago. I have at least 2 more waiting for grading. I did finally get impatient looking for a reasonably priced Seaver 9 and settled for an 8 tonight. $1,840 (plus 7% tax here in PA) verses $227. I know, you have $60 total invested in your Seaver!!!image
    Dave
  • Options
    The 1969 set is good to condition a collector for making runs at other sets. If you have the patience to build this set in PSA 8 or better, you can build just about any set. I've been a little less patient now that I'm down to the last 10 or so upgrades. To this point, I've pretty much stayed away from paying record prices. I've noticed quite a bit of volitility in the 69s lately. I was shocked to see a Mickey Stanley PSA 8 go for $100 plus. It's not an easy card but it used to sell for much less than a C note. Another one is the Ron Santo 8 that sold for $82.50. It used to be listed all the time and I bought mine on ebay for about twenty bucks. I used to see Seaver 8s sell for less than $100 as well. I bought one on Teletrade a few years back for $90. It had no tilt but I later noticed it had a significant surface flaw noticeable under bright light at an angle. PSA bought it back from me and I found another 8 for $105.

In a way, I'll be glad to finish off this set. I think I'll be able to blast out the rest of the '68 set in no time flat. I think even the '67 set will be easier than the '69 set.
  • Options
    1969 Santo over $80? I think I sold a half dozen for under $25 ea. Gemint is right about Seaver's, $90-$125. Its just amazing how certain 1969's are through the roof.