Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Question for the 68 Topps Guru's

Does anyone know why the 68 Topps set is missing several team cards? Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Senators, Astros all leap out as glaring omissions. Was there some kind of contract dispute with Topps and those teams? Seems very strange to me they would have left those teams out. Or have I had too many beers today watching football. Any insight would be appreciated, about the teams of course.
Brian
Stan Musial topped the .300 mark 17 times and won seven National League batting titles. A three-time MVP, he played in 24 All-Star Games. Probably, the greatest player who is overlooked and underappreciated.

Comments

• qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes it makes no sense what Topps included or didn't include in their sets.
    Take the 1965 Topps set, all team cards are included but Houston...jay
  • Here's the reason no Houston team cards in the 60's, except for 1963.

The Astrodome wasn't finished until just before the 1966 season. Prior to that, the Colt .45s played outdoors in Buffs stadium (short for Buffaloes, not nakedness). Topps photographers only had to take one team picture in 1963 in the spring, outdoors, to experience the MASSIVE HOUSTON MOSQUITOES. After that, no Topps photographers would venture to the Bayou City until Topps could work out a contract for taking the team photo inside the Astrodome.

Nyuck, Nyuck.

Trivia Q: Opening day in the Astrodome featured a pitching matchup of two future Hall of Famers who together won over 500 games. Name the pitchers.
  • Robin Roberts vs Don Sutton

Where do I claim my prize?
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Buzz! Wrong answer. My guess is Jim Bunning and Robin Roberts.
  • Ooops! I think purelyPSA has it right, I believe my answer reflects the first game played in the Astrodome on astroturf, which was the 1966 season. The dome opened in the 1965 season.

But neither of those pitchers were actually the starters in that game.

My Bad!
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8