Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any comments?

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Any comments?

Nope, none at all.image

Just kidding, that is a very pretty Yen! Can you tell us more about it?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I thought that one yen was only worth less than us 1 cent - why a slilver yen? How old?
    Shep
  • Options

<< <i>that is a very pretty Yen! Can you tell us more about it? >>

Taisho 3 (1914) - the last dragon yen minted, and the only one during the reign of the Taisho emperor (1912-1924). The mintage of 11,500,000 was the largest in the 41-year history of the type. The so-called "small type", 29.96g and 38.1mm in diameter was slightly thicker than the earlier 38.6mm version of the same weight. The only year of Krause #38, but the last year of JNDA Type 10A, because Krause assigns new numbers at every change in design other than the year number, while JNDA assigns new numbers only when there is a significant design change.

The Krause Unc valuation is $110, and JNDA's "best condition" is ¥33,000 (>$1,800.00!)

I see a problem with the coin and would like to know if anyone else sees the same thing.

Edited to add: In the late 19th/early 20th century the Japanese yen was roughly equal in value to a U.S. Dollar. The dragon yen contained 416 grains of silver and the Trade Dollar contained 420 grains.
    Roy

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    These yens are among the most beautiful silver coins ever minted imho.

Since there's nothing I can detect, this is my 1903 yen for comparison purposes only (sorry for the blurry reverse scan )

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only one yen I have seen a picture of with the flame crossing four spines was on the Meiji year 25 I think. Is it common on later years as well like the Taisho 3? No Krause right now...

• Options
    I don't see the problem. What is it?
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Love those Dragons, nice coinimage
  • Options
    Please enter me in your most generous giveaway.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    The fields, especially the large one inside the wreath, look hairlined to me, raising the spectre of imagecleaningimage, but if no one else sees it, maybe I'm just expressing a smidgin of inherent disbelief in the pristine appearance of an 89-year-old coin. image
    Roy

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any comments? >>

I see ajaan is having gender identity problems again.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The fields, especially the large one inside the wreath, look hairlined to me, raising the spectre of imagecleaningimage, but if no one else sees it, maybe I'm just expressing a smidgin of inherent disbelief in the pristine appearance of an 89-year-old coin. image >>

They look more like scuff marks than hairlines to me. With fields that open, scuff marks are almost inevitable.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The fields, especially the large one inside the wreath, look hairlined to me, raising the spectre of imagecleaningimage, but if no one else sees it, maybe I'm just expressing a smidgin of inherent disbelief in the pristine appearance of an 89-year-old coin. image >>

I don't see any obvious sign of cleaning -- it's a nice coin. image
  • Options
    1957joe1957joe Posts: 608 ✭✭
    my weekend was great!
  • Options

Yeah, actually that was the only possible problem I could see. But I thought if it was cleaned, the obverse would show signs of it also.