Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help me out here.

Are Mexican coins worth collecting ? I know all coins are worth collecting but by the amount of posts about Mexican coins here it seems that very few people collect them. Please forgive me for being way stupid on the subject.

Oh yea, I bought 7 more of them yesterday, Mexican coins. These will be a delightful diversion from my main lightside interest. image

Ken

Comments

• Options
    Just like everything else around here collect what you like. If you like it is definitely worth something.

So where's the pictures of the NEWPS?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Ken
    Usually it's a great idea to collect something that no one else is (currently) interested in. I think the term is "against the crowd".

I've tried to sell a few Mexican silver coins that came with lots. They are usually ornate and superbly designed. Big silver crown sized monsters. I ended up getting peanuts for them, hardly reaching melt. A real good reason to be a buyer.

And Bill's advice holds - collect whatever the hell you want to. I personally fear collectors who tend to buy all the "unfashioable" items from me. They walk away with a hat full of coins and I'm left with a few banknotes.

Lloyd
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is one of them.

Also snagged a couple of Canadian large cents.

Ken
  • Options
    No way you could go wrong with that.......image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    As the others mentioned, collect what you enjoy. I came from West Texas and Mexican coins were pretty popular; especially the older silver pieces and the gold was always a popular bullion item specially for jewelry. Many of the modern proofs had low mintages. But when I moved up North, dealers weren't even interested in them. Guess it kind of depends where you live.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayne

Here is another 10 Centavo 1925 coin. This one is broken up way more than the one shown the other day. This dealer had three of them and two of the coins had no die cracks at all. There are 8 die cracks on one side and seven I could see on the other side.

Ken
  • Options
    Ken,
    I have determined that these coins are not worthy of your standard of collecting. So........

Package up all that junk and send it to me right away. I will hide it here in Norway and not tell anyone you had these before.......image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    I have little collection of Mexican coins. You can trully find beautiful coins for almost nothing. Also their are a few coins with low mintages that are extremely collectable like the caballito and the 1921 centenary.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Mexican coins are cool! If I weren't blowing so much on German and colonial stuff I'd be raising your prices imageimage
  • Options
    I have quite a collection of Mexican coins which I started by accident and relly found that there are tons of veriety and you can get some beautiful examples for very modest sums. You can't go wrong (but won't get rich) and I think you will enjoy the hunt.
    Shep
  • Options
    I will reaffirm what has been said already with a Bruce touch. It is YOUR collection, collect whatever YOU want. I have an ample representation of Mexican in my world "one per country/issueing authority" collection as well as a few in my extras. I say "to each his own" There is nothing wrong with Mexican coins, heck they are a lot easier to obtain than something from Greenland or Chad.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Mexican coins were sleepers until about 2-3 years ago and have been steadily gaining in popularity -- as have Mexican revolution banknotes. Old silver coins in nice condition can be a good challenge, too.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image