Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Flat stapler?

After 8 months of saying I need to buy some supplies, I finally am (via JPs).. but I have a quick question for you guys. I'm buying cardboard 2x2s for all my cheapos and have heard of flat staplers and imagine they would be better than standard, but I don't know where to find one. Can any of you guys point one out to me? (or tell me if I'm wasting my time?)

Okay, dumb follow-up: Mylar isn't bad for coins is it? I just suffered a brain dump and forgot which plastic was which image

Comments

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Mylar is what you want. It's PVC that's evil.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Here's a company that sells flat staplers. Staples or Office Max or other office supplies stores might carry them also.

Brent-Krueger Coin Supplies
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link. I had the same question- after stapling about 2,000 coins into 2 X 2's recently, and crimping the staples with pliers, I got a blister on my finger from the pliers (have a nice callus there, now.)

I have often wondered how well those flat-clinch staplers worked, because I have known about them for a while, but most folks I know, including my old mentor, still use the pliers. I might have to try one of those. If so, I'll give y'all a product report.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I use one of these, it saves so much time when you are putting a bunch of coins in 2x2s! My pliers are now retired!image

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jester. For some odd reason vinyl vs mylar threw me off image

Doug, thanks for that link!
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    The self-adhesive 2x2s are not bad either; for one use only though. Neat stuff.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go with the self-adhesive 2 X 2's, but at eight times the price of regular ones, they just aren't cost-effective.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I've heard the self adhesive glue or its vapors can possibly harm the coin over time.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I was wondering about those... are they really harmful?

• << <i>I use one of these, it saves so much time when you are putting a bunch of coins in 2x2s! My pliers are now retired!image

image >>

So these type of staplers really work, no crimping or flatening of staples needed, wow I may have to look into one....image
  • I tried the normal stapler and turned the bottom section around (a normal option). This makes the staple fold out flat instead of the normal inward crimping. This works pretty good but I finally went with a "mini stapler". Works like a normal stapler but but much smaller staples and a much more "flat" result.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com