Home Q & A Forum
Options

Relationship between coin value and rarity

David,

Forgive me for what might be a naive question, but I am rather new to collecting. I'd like your thoughts on what happens (if anything) to the value of a conditionally rare coin when the population significantly increases. Example, I recently purchased a 1937-S Walker in pcgs 67 when it was a pop 11/0 coin. Within a month or two of purchase, the population went up to 14/0. That is about a 30% increase over the previous pop of 11. Can I assume that there is a similar decrease in the current value of the coin now that the population is 30 or so percent higher in 67 grade? Thanks.

Steve Stocker
ImpalaSteve's #3 all-time Walker Short Set

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Steve,

The values will go down some as pops increase if everything else is equal. But when the narket is hot, the coins won't necessarily go down that much. Sometimes coins will show sharp increases in pops...sometimes a group of a particular date comes on the market. The real problem is that when a market is sizzling, as Walkers are now, the dealers submitt a lot of them to PCGS and more coins get made.

Either way, the best strategy is to have fun with your coins and be careful about what you buy and what you pay...but don't don't obssess on the values...have fun!

David