Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Have people stopped collecting Irish??

Listed these a few days ago. image Or is my BIN running them off??
Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders

Comments

• Options
    My usual reaction to a BIN and a reserve (and I have seen a number of sellers who did this) is that the two values are the same and I usually don't bid on those auctions - JMHO.
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Even if the price is one you're willing to pay? image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    I agree with Cecil. There are so many auctions to look through that you just end up just looking at the few make-or-break details (price) and not the coin itself. If there is a BIN/Reserve then that is the minimum amount the coin will go for and if that amount is more than I am willing or able to spend (on anything) then why spend more time looking at something I can only drool over (no bid at all). Those prices are way too high for me because of my budget and not because they're not justified.
    In other words, the fact that there is a BIN just means I look at the price there and not the coin. With no BIN/Reserve I may at least place one bid at my maximum limit for that coin sometime during the auction (which may generate competition). That may also very well lead to the chance the coin will go for less than the seller can afford to let it go for. So, you do what you gotta do.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    I don't know about irish, but i've recently been astonished at how little demand there is for a 1690's british 6 pence of William III! Granted it was only About Good or so, but still quite identifiable, no damage, etc. I put it out at $5 opening bid, No reserve-- closed with no bids. I put it out at $3 opening bid, no reserve-- no bids. I took it off the block for a while, then put it back on, but this time with another beat up old 1700s farthing and 2 old buttons. This time I started this lot out at $1, NR... I got bids, but it topped out at $2.85!

I better start selling state quarters!
  • Options
    Of course it depends on your collector too I guess.

I put in a bid on the 1805 for what I would be willing to spend on it. Though I'm currently the high bidder it didn't reach the reserve.

I base how much I'm willing to spend on something like a minor coin on how interested I am in the story behind it or the time, not on the strike. In that I'm fully aware that I'm very different from the others on this board. But the coins are less interesting to me than the medals and tokens of the same period, and those tend to show up in better shape anyway. To me an Irish piece from 1805 is British. I'm not saying that to start problems with folks from Eire, just stating a historic fact. And I can get British minors in decent condition for almost nothing...

For what it's worth I guess, and I realize it's an odd opinion... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    Terry
    Just my opinion but....

With the two 20th century bronzes you may be in numismatic limbo. That is, if I just want an example I'll get a cheap one in VF for $8, but if I'm going to spend any sort of real money, I'd like something with original colour.

Then again, a lot of collectors over this side may be asking how good/bad is an AU... Is it GEF or ?

Lloyd