Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Lightsider is being lured by the dark... Need some help

Saw this proof set with documentation today in person and wondered if this is a resonable asking price....

1893 proof set

Thanks for the help guys...

John

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Were the 63s and 64s very solid for the grade? If the 2 & 5 are spot on, as the crown at a 65, I would say, yes! image

Frankly, if I had $18K, I would have already offered it. I don't know that you would ever top those colours on the silver pieces.

They are fabulous!

Having said that, if I spent $18 bills on something like that, I would be planning on keeping them for something like 20 years.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Wow, those are gorgeous! Wish they imaged the rest.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I think Mac has said it all!

If you can afford it, buy it and don't forget to crack the coins out of their holders,or else this nice toning might turn into a disaster!(this is no joke - it's happened to me in the past).

The price is very high,but you don't buy Victorian proof sets by sticking to cats' prices.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the Navy is paying it's LTs a little more than I thought! If I had enough disposable income I'd love to get that set, but I have too many disposable diapers to buy instead. 1893 is one of my favorite years and those look gorgeous!

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Sweet set (love the 4 gold coins as described). As mentioned, nice top quality sets command top prices.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    773 sets were made and are rarely intact. This represents a pretty rare opportunity. I agree with Mac. If I have 18Gs, it gets the wybrit pedigree.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    My comment is that I am in love with the coins...... and that if you have now jumped over to the Darkside... welcome.... and you seems to be "jumping in" with both feet.........image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the input on the set.

I will keep you informed as to whether I buy or not. All depends on how I do selling today.

V.r,
    John
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic set- I've looked at it before. It rather irks me that they don't have pics of everything up, but man-o-man, that florin is mind-blowing!

I own 1/10 of the 1893 proof set; the half-sovereign in NGC PR64. (Or rather, I will, when I finish paying another forum member off the balance due on it!)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Always more coins than I have money for.imageimageimage
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    I have been looking - and looking - and looking at that set for several months now. It just seems to get prettier every time I look at it. And like the others have said - if I had the cash - I'd already own it. Of course I'm crazy image

But - since the set has been offered for all this time with no takers - it does make one wonder if perhaps it may be just a bit overpriced.
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    Well,

After much thought..... I passed on the set.

ONLY because I have other things that I have placed in front of it for the collection. If I had the dough sitting around....
    it would be in my cabinet...

Thanks for all the help and somebody on this board should buy it.!!!!!!!!!!!

John
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ONLY because I have other things that I have placed in front of it for the collection. >>

Well, hopefully the coins in front of it are 'Darkside'!! imageimage

Oh yeah, can I get a $17,000 loan from you at 1% payable at $50 per month?? image

LMK, Thanks!!
  • Options
    Mac,

If I had the money, I would lend it to you on those terms in a heartbeat...

If I win the lottery, we'll work something out!! image

John
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But - since the set has been offered for all this time with no takers - it does make one wonder if perhaps it may be just a bit overpriced. >>

If not overpriced, then perhaps I am just 'under-moneyed'. image

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overpriced and undermonied. What a bad combo.

*sigh*

How well I know the phenomenon.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.