Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

submissions

I recently asked this question on the other side and thought it would be fun to ask a similar question here... what is the price of the most inexpensive darkside coin that you have submitted to a TPG company? Please do not feel that you have to mention the coin if you believe the question crosses the line or privacy and good taste... there is point that will be made sometime during the course of the thread. For me, I need more time to think... I will have some answer sometime later

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $5.00 when I was putting together a set of slabbed Red Unc. coins with British monarchs on them. Sent it to ANACS, economy service, took about 2 months.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Never have
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    $600

...and I bet on the liteside you got some quips about "nocturnal submissions" didn't you?image
  • Options
    no slabs here. image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've submitted Darkside stuff with catalog values of $15-20 before to ANACS , figuring what the heck- in a slab, I thought I could get pretty close to full catalog, and it was stuff I had bought for next to nothing (cherrypicked from bulk lots). I even sent in one or two interesting pieces worth only $10 catalog (in other words, exactly what it cost me to slab them), figuring I could sell them for a little more than catalog. In most cases, this was stuff I had only pennies invested in, so it really didn't matter much. One dealer at the Charlotte ANA show saw some of my slabbed swapstock and asked why I bothered slabbing "junkbox" stuff- that was kinda rude, I thought, as the pieces I showed him were $30-40-50 coins.

The slabs made nice swapping stock, but it was mostly a waste of money. Still, if I make any cherrypicking finds worth $35-50 or more (and have next to nothing in them), I might do it again.

I did just cherrypick a red UNC 1948 West German 1-pfennig coin the other day (I forget the mintmark, but it catalogs $50 UNC. Probably seriously overvalued in Krause, like a lot of that stuff is, IMHO, but hey- it cost me less than a dime!) That's the sort of thing I might submit if I have a bunch of other stuff going, but for the most part, submitting the coins is not a very high priority for me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    With the new Euro set registry, I'll bet there's going to be a lot of slabbing of pocket change in the near future. imageimageimage
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If my memory serves to be correct, it is $35. I am still thinking.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay... It is $18. and yes, that is my final answer.

• Options
    I have never submitted any coin for sl@bbing
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I've never even seen a slab in person.

I'm still trying to figure out how it was that I found this board.. oh well, glad I did.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I've submitted some post WWII Greek coins ,both silver and copper nickel,because although they were readily available in BU, locating them in true gem condition was an entirely different story. Their buyprice was between $10 and $30. All of them are worth 3-5 times as much today,especially in their ANACS MS65 holders.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Never have, never will.image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Never submitted Darkside material ,but lightside I submit if I can double the price of the coin by doing so.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    $25 if I recall. Interesting question. If I am working on a set of something, and it is all slabbed, the low end has to match.

On the other end of things, right now I have the third finest known (read as third finest to be slabbed by a major service, I hope) 1786 Guinea on it's way to PCGS.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    No, nay, never, niemals.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image