Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Odd shape, odd medal...

There are two stories about what this medal is. The first is that it is a commemorative that was sold to the public
who came to visit the Council of 500. The second is that it was a membership pass; that the members of the Council
had to show it to the guards before entering the Council's chambers. Neither story explains the shape. image

It dates from 1799 and seldom shows up. I found this one in with a group of lead uniface pieces I was bidding on from
the early Directorate period. I had to fight like the devil with some Frenchie types for the whole bunch... image

Vern
You want how much?!!
NapoleonicMedals.org
(Last update 3/6/2007)

Comments

• laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Us "frenchie types" want everything French ever sold to the United States back! Back, do you hear? We are losing our national heritage in bits and pieces. Please return in tightly wrapped packages to Merrick Ave, Manchester NY care of moi and I'll have the appropriate French Gov't agents return it all to the proper hands.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    you mean they invented the pentagon tooimage
  • Besides the shape I really liked the Phrygian (sp?) hat head-on. image Laurent I'm doing my personal best to empty France of most of its cultural heritage related to Napoleon and the Revolution. What can I say, it's just cool stuff... image

Besides, they can have McDonalds and the best Freedom Fries on the planet if they want. image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How you say "mega cool" en Français? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    "Mega Cool" avec un accent français. image

An interesting tidbit. While the French did not invent the pentagon, image the original city planner for Washington D.C. was a Parisian. That is part of the reason why some of the earliest archictecture and layout of D.C. resembles Paris and the palace Versailles. I do not recall the gentleman's name however.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peter the Infant.

Umm, I mean, Pierre L'Enfant.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We are losing our national heritage in bits and pieces. >>

Yes, indeed! When will the poor French celebrate another Frenchman as winner of Le Tour? Oh, what must poor Raymond Poulidor think of this travesty? Come now! Spoil the Texans party...hurry, hurry! image

• laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Everyone picks on the French lately... make a few bad political decisions, lose a few wars, see an empire wither, then get arrogant about it!image

As for the tour de France, my favorite version is Le Tour de Gaulle D'Asterix, available in French or English versions-highly recommended!

Whew-issue dodging...
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato