Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

HELP, I can't read squiggly lines!

OK, I'm totally lost on this one. I have 2 of these, both are scratch free and shiny red brown beauties.
I am going to keep 1 and maybe sell the other, but since I don't know what it is or how much its worth, I've come to you folks.
Does anyone read squiggly?
Thank you,
Glenn

Comments

• Options
    Nice squiggly lines.image I can't read 'em either.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're from the Ottoman Empire, as evidenced by the toughra (that big squiggly on the obverse, in your first pic). I'm not sure which Ottoman country it is, but it's probably Turkey or Egypt. The Hejira date on the reverse is AH 1327, I believe (circa 1909 AD). That's all I can tell you for the moment, as I am at work, and one of the UBS Cup players wants Room Service. If nobody solves the riddle by the time I come back, I can scratch my head over it a little more. (I'm not the best at squigglies, either, but I'm learnin'.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    The coin appears to be a 1/40 Qirsh (about the size of a dime). Catalogued in Krause under Egypt as KM 300. The 1327 that LM refers to is the accession year of Muhammad V. The year of reign is 2. This is the first year of issue for the design.

The proper orientation of the coin is:
    Obverse - What you have at 12:00 should be at 9:00. The year of reign would then be at the bottom of the coin above the line above the H. That is the Arabic numeral 2

Reverse - What you have at 12:00 should be at 3:00. The year of accession - 1327 would be at the bottom of the coin.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    OK, here's my best guess.

Accession date: AH 1327, regnal year 2H. Egypt, under Ottoman Empire. Struck during the reign of Muhammad V.

If the coins are slightly smaller than a dime, they are 1/40th Qirsh pieces (KM300, catalog $25 UNC), or if they are closer to the size of a US cent, they are 1/20th Qirsh pieces (KM301, catalog $18 UNC). Please note that the KM numbers and values I quote are from the hardcover ANA centennial Krause catalogs, which are now more than a decade out of date. (I keep my newer editions at home and the old hardcovers at work, 'cause they're sturdier.) Somebody else can fill in the current values/KM numbers and/or correct any errors I might have made.

EDIT: from what farthing posted while I was typing, it looks like I was on the right track.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Trying to puzzle out a coin from the clues in the design can be fun!

Here's your coin in the correct alignment.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
  • Options
    My 2001 Krause has the same values as LM quoted.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
  • Options
    You're messin' with my head by wearin' the Magic Mushroom icon, farthing... image

• Options
    WOW Thanks, farthing and lordmarcovan

Cool, it's the size of a dime, so let's see if I got this right!
    Egypt: AH 1327 (1909?) 1/40 Qirsh KM 300
  • Options
    The lunar based year 1327 ran from Jan. 23, 1909 to Jan.12, 1910. Mintage was 2 million that year.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile