Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A few Chinese Gold coins and lovely twentieth century Swiss coin

imageimage

A lovely Chinese Pattern gold dollar
imageimage

A very rare Chinese Sycee in Gold from the 19th century, most boat money is in silver

A very rare Swiss five franc coin in proof
imageimage

Comments

• Beautiful, just beautiful!! Thanks for sharing.
    Shep
  • I agree Shep, just fabulous stuff. image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Impressive. Most impressive. Obi-wan has taught you well.

We ARE watching you.

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Whoa, baby!!

Did someone just post a pretty Swiss coin? Very nice, Sid! image

Just when I thought you were occupying 16th to 18th c. Europe, you show up with nice Chinese gold and a lovely erstabschlag William Tell.

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Each of those coins is stunning in its own way!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins! I like the sychee, but I don't know enough about them to distinguish a geniune one from a counterfeit. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    They're all beautiful, but there's something about the swiss 5 franc I really like!imageimage
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Love those Chinese gold. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • You always have such great givaways please enter me.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I see 4 coins but only 3 captions. So I'm confused as to what is what (except for the Swiss coin).

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • That rectangular piece looks pretty interesting. How big is it? Was it made to be stackable with others?

Collector of Fractional Gold; gold tokens from Canada, California, Alaska & other states; gold so-called dollars, and other oddball stuff.
  • The Sychee weighs about 14.5 ozs and was from a ship wreck. Not many others were found with it but just like the silver ones it was designed to be stacked with others.
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I've only seen sycees in pictures. I did not know that they were that big (based on the weight). Did they commonly circulate or mainly used for big transactions (I mean the silver sycees, as this is the first time I've seen a picture of a gold sycee)?
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • They were mainly used in large transactions, we have several silver sychees that weigh well over a Kilo!
  • Beautiful Chinese gold coins but the second gold coin with the dragon is a fantasy coin and not a legal issue, there is
    a silver fantasy coin as well. The gold Sycee is a very rare piece, thanks for sharing your wonderful collection.image
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    That may be the case,but would it be so big,if it was a fantasy piece?

I love it and prefer it by a long shot to the first one.

That's a very subtle toning on the 5 fr proof: very good pictures too!

Thanks for sharing them; I still haven't digested the countermarked taler yet image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • More beauties à la Sid!! That gold Sycee is a true find, but you can't beat the Dragon on the pattern coin. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image