Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Anyone help identify French privy mark?

Howdy. I've got a French 5 franc coin from An 13 (1804). The mintmark is "M", which I believe is Toulouse, but I'm unsure of what the privy mark is. Looks like a bull? image

I'm giving the coin as a gift, and would like to know as much about it as possible. Privy mark, designer of the bust of Napoleon, and any other details you might know about. Thanks!!
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    It should either be a hammer or a cursive monogram CT-back with more info soon, I hope
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Krause lists a Cow as the privy mark for M (Toulouse) from L'An 5-14. My '96 Krause lists values at $30 VG, $60 F, $125 VF, $300 XF.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • I know the engraver's last name was Tiolier. He did quite a bit of the earlier money and not so much in the way of medals. The privy mark is a cow. I'm not sure I've ever seen enough detail to determine further than that... image Other than that I can tell you that it's the second highest mintage of the an 13 5 francs with a reported total of 1,546,082. Paris had about three times that or so.

Great gift! image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Darkside, Weiss! Thanks for sharing your nice coin. Please come and join us again soon.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Well, it certainly looks like a cow on the coin. What confuses me is that my 3rd edition 19th century Krause lists a hammer or a cursive monogram for the privy marks for Toulouse but now I see the hammer is for L'an 14-1812. I can find no listing for anything earlier than that. Very puzzling...image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • That Republican calendar confuses everyone! image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, laurentyvan, tbirde56, elverno, and 1jester. That's the type of info I was after!

The gift is a coin for a friend of mine who's supposed to be knighted shortly by the French government for his work on the history of Napoleonic warfare. Thought this would be a cool gift, and since he's a non-collector, I wanted to give him as much info on the coin as I can.

I'm more of an American collector myself (for 30 of my 35 years). But I've finally reached the point in life where I can appreciate (and afford!) the occasional coin, regardless of realm or age, that speaks to me. This is my latest acquisition:

Siglos from Harlan Berk
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • I had to check my 18th century Krause to find that privy mark info.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Welcome Weiss! You'll enjoy yourself on the DarkSide, lots of variety and the price is usually right. image Is your friend getting the Legion d'Honneur or the Palms? Very cool, I probably own a few of his books... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Welcome, Weiss!! You definitely have an eye for ancients! Who is your friend being knighted? Some of us have probably read his works.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image