Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Nurnberg Museum???? Askari

Perhaps I didn't know what this was worth..medal but I did know that it wasn't an actual Commemorative 5 Mark (km 113) which is very spendy. My bid was $150 below the winners...did I really underestimate or did these guys go overboard?

Comments

• imageimageimage!!! I'm not that familiar with post-WWII German medals, but it's hard to see such a simple design commanding such a price. I would have bid about a tenth that myself. Strangely enough, unless I miss my guess, that bird design is Native American in origin. The winner mostly buys toys (chiefly cars), but recently he's acquired a couple of Nürnberg items like this gorgeous piece, so maybe he has some personal ties there. Wish I'd seen that plate, though -- he got it for a song!!

The person bidding him up is harder to figure. He has been inactive since January and suddenly appears to suddenly bid it up. Note that the last 2 of his 3 final bids came very quickly when he saw himself outbid. He must have had a couple screens up at least, which sounds like a rather experienced bidder for only 24 wins, the last 10 months prior.

This is weird. Maybe it's a little-known rarity that only folks who've lived in Nürnberg know about. More likely, it seems to me that the winner played the überbidder game and the loser tried to unsuccessfully.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • I'm not sure I'd bid $8... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    The stylized eagle is the same as on the 1952 Commemorative 5 Mark (KM 113) which is quite pricey. Perhaps the 2 high bidders mistook the medal for that coin.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    That's what I was thinking but the reverse isn't even close to the commem.