Home Q & A Forum

MS65 and higher?

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
David,

Thanks for another Tuesday with us!

I know it is recommended to purchase high grade MS65 and better for the best collections (in many cases MS65 is a bit on the low side). I am putting together a set of Mercury Dimes. My goals aren't as high as many. I would at some point like to have a complete set of Uncirculated Mercury Dimes (I have 13 coins to go in MS). I am happy with coins with the low end being MS60. I do have some MS65FB to MS67FB in the common dates. My set includes a few circulated coins in which will be upgraded at some point.

What is your opinion on coins just below the price break? It seems a person can put together a very nice set with coins just below that breakpoint (if the coins can be found). Are coins below the price break the next rarities, as the high end coins become hidden away into more and more collections?

Would you share your comments on which grades of coins are acceptable to collect for fun or long term investment?

Thanks,

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Hi Tony,

I think the most important thing is for you to enjoy the coins. The lower than 65 grade coins can go in value too. Buy coins that are attractive for the grade and have fun building the collection within your budget.

David