Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

MICHAELDIXON-THE STORY OF AN HONORABLE MAN-PICS ADDED

This is a story of actions above and beyond the call of duty.

Last year I submitted what I thought to be a slamdunk MS-63 1921 High Relief Peace Dollar to PCGS. When I posted huge pics here, quite a few thought that it would grade higher than 63. It came back AU-58. I don't have the money to keep cracking coins out and resubmitting until something gets the proper grade.

I listed it on ebay for what I paid for the coin, knowing that I would probably eat the slabbing, postage and all the associated ebay and PayPal fees. I wrote in the listing that it was as nice, if not better than any 63 you'd find in a slab. Mike Dixon apparently believed me and bought the coin. When he received it, he agreed with me that PCGS did in fact miss the boat on this coin.

A while down the road I received a PM with a pic enclosed from Mike. All it said was, "Recognize this coin?" There, sitting in an NGC MS-64 slab, was the same 1921 Peace. I PMed back, "I'm sick to my stomach." He told me that when it sold, I would get a cut. I told him it wasn't necessary, that HE was the one that took the chance.

To make an already long story a little shorter, I'll cut to the chase...2 months ago I received a PayPal payment from Mike which not only covered all my fees, but allowed me to see a profit on the coin.

This was a really nice thing for Mike to do, and I would like to thank him publicly. Michael Dixon is an honorable man.

THANK YOU MIKE!!!

While I was going through the millions of megabytes on my website, I stumbled upon pics of the coin in question taken right before submission.

imageimage
J.C.

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I'll second that Mike is great to deal with!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys embarrass me! image I just try to be honest! Thanks for the kind words.
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    I'll third that motion....Ken
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Michael 'theHepCat' Dixon!

smooch!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
    You are the man!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Way to go Mike.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YO...MIKE!!!imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    HERE HERE !!!!!!!image
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing that story 2Dogs. Michael Dixon is a great guy. He went out of his way to wait for me at my first Baltimore show to get me situated. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story. I must confess that I bought a couple coins below market from certain dealers this year. I was wondering what to do, maybe send them a nice Christmas basket or something since they try to be proactive and call me when they have stuff. What's the right etiquette when you buy from a dealer?

P.S. If you get a Christmas basket from me this year, be very suspicious image
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an incredibly nice action!

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    imageNow thats the way people should be... Great job Michael, thanks for sharin TwoDawgs!!!!!
  • Options
    Great story, I don't know Michael that well at all, but I can tell you that the Mercury dimes that I have purchased in the past from him on Ebay and the BST have been of -EXCEPTIONAL- quality.
  • Options

<< <i>You guys embarrass me! image I just try to be honest! Thanks for the kind words. >>

You ought to know by now that no good deed goes unpunished!!!
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

• Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Michael 'theHepCat' Dixon!

smooch! >>

You can't get better praise than this!

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    I've never met Mike but as I have said before.....I've only heard
    good things about him !! Thanks for sharing Twodogs !!
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    Oh you are so ill.

Don't you know this is a ploy?

THIS IS MIKE DIXON WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERE!!!
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Yeah MD is OK. I remember when he sent me an ICG Intercept Shield Sample when they first came out.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    He went "out of his way" once for me as well...

Ran me right over.
  • Options
  • Options
    Aw, heck...I'll confess.

Mike Dixon is one of the most amazing people I have ever met. He is so good a guy, I would drop anything at a moments notice to go help him with just about anything he ever asked.

I've said it before in other threads, but just in case someone here doesn't know about our friendship, let me say this...

Mike Dixon is the classiest act in town.

Honorable?

This guy lives that word!!
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Aw, heck...I'll confess.

Mike Dixon is one of the most amazing people I have ever met. He is so good a guy, I would drop anything at a moments notice to go help him with just about anything he ever asked.

I've said it before in other threads, but just in case someone here doesn't know about our friendship, let me say this...

Honorable?

This guy lives that word!! >>

Gotta quote this one. image
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Haven't known Michael long. But it's been a pleasure! He found a very nice PR67 CAM for my son.
  • Options
    Huh? Don't you know Dixon is a lousy stinkin' lyin' cheatin' coin dealer??? What's become of this message board!

Ah, I'm sure it will be back to normal soon. image
  • Options

<< <i>Aw, heck...I'll confess.

Honorable?

Damn..... I'm just gettin a warm and fuzzy feelin all over listen to HLM!!!imageimageimage

Seriously I don't know Mike myself, but from all of the kudo's he's received here, and if Two Dogs gives him the O.K., he must be a great guy!image
  • Options

<< <i>if Two Dogs gives him the O.K., he must be a great guy!image >>

Some would say that's NOT the BEST recommendation...
    J.C.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An inspirational story!

Thank you for telling us twodogs!

Would love to see that old thread!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    any who has do anything with MICHAELDIXON knows he's a stand up guy. another good deed

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options

<< <i><< Aw, heck...I'll confess.

Honorable?

Gotta quote this one. >>

We got him now claw - I'm your witness image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    gee, i've said it before, that if a plastic co. undergrades a coin, YOU LOSE MONEY ON IT.

keets, care to argue this 1 again?

anyone care to explain why pcgs, ngc, anacs, etc can't provide a guarantee against UNDERGRADING of coins?

K S
  • Options

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    I don't post often, but I have to put in my feelings on Mike. I bought the early year flat pack proof sets from him
    a couple years ago. He was such a pleasure to work with.

In my personal paper work, in case something happens, I have instructions that my wife contact him first for sellling
    my collection. I trust him.image
  • Options
    WOW! Lookee here!! Someone hacked their way into my account and posted on this thread using my name!!

OTIS!! OTIS!!! Something is very wrong here!!

I betcha that Dixon clown did it! image
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MD for President!
    When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
  • Options
    Does this mean I have to be nice to the men's room stalker too?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Uhoh, it appears dorkkarl has finally completely lost it.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    TWODOGS
    I can concur with your assesment about Michael from personal experiences.I to have done deals with him and found him to be very honorable.image
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    While I was going through the millions of megabytes on my website, I stumbled upon pics of the coin in question taken right before submission.

imageimage
    J.C.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A tip o' the Holey Gold Hat to Michaeldixon.

Just goes to show you that even the big third-party grading services have trouble grading Peace dollars consistently. Peace dollars and Pratt Indian gold are probably the designs I am least confident of my grading skills in.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,765 ✭✭✭✭
    I may be wrong, but I believe we've heard similar praise for Mr.Dixon in the past.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one of the best coin stories I've ever heard. Well done! image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a big fan of both PCGS AU58 coins and Michael Dixon! More of both for me!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Great story Two Dogs!image That was a very honorable thing that Mike Dixon did for you... Just goes to show that there are some honest dealers out there that just aren't out to rip you off!

I don't mean to get on a rant here but.......

My advice to anyone just getting started in the coin collecting hobby would be to search out people like Mike Dixon, and a few of the others that I'm aware of, and watch out for the coin dealers that are always offering the "deal of the century", are the deal that looks to good to be true! It really makes me want to slap the hell out of some of these so-called Ebay coin sellers, and other unscrupulous bastids, that keep selling junk from ACG, and other less than reputable coin grading services, and the so-called "BU" coins that are constantly sold on Ebay and through certain publications, and taking advantage of the newbie collectors that forgot to "read the books" before they buy the coins!

>>> I will step down from my soap box now<<<image
  • Options
    In a similar situation, some might ask: "What would Jesus do?"

Easy answer.............

What Mike Dixon did.........

Mike, your life has to be full to overflowing with peace and joy......
    Lightside
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This holiday I remembered 2 things:

Integrity: its something that no one can take from you, only you can give it up.

You will be judged for what you do for others not yourself!!!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file