Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A Krause value question...

Can anyone give me a recent Krause price on a Swiss 1 rappen 1855?
I'm hoping to get something newer than my '96 catalog's values.
imageimage
Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile

Comments

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I can't help you with that, Tbirde, but I'm surprised to hear you, of all people, ask for a price from Krause!!!

PM MacCrimmon; he's pretty up to date on Swiss prices.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    $200 F, $350 VF, $500 XF ,$900 unc

KM3 mintage 500.000
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Brad,

The piece shown looks to be in the VF range, but a bit dark and small to be sure. Anyway, key date to be sure as the 1850A & 1851A took the brunt of commerce for many years.

Krause is surprisingly close on this one, probably due to the date and popularity.

I concur on the $200 range for Fine and VFs are in a range of about $350 - 400, depending on planchet quality, color, spotting, etc.

Expect a retail about $450 to $500 for a nice XF, jumping to $600 or so for a choice AU. The little coppers that just make unc. are slightly more at around $650-700. Expect to pay between $800-850 for a no problems MS62/63 coin with a decent amount of original red and a nice gem specimen will fetch a $1000 plus depending on how much of a monster it is.

Also, some optimistic German guides have had these at 30-50% higher as little as 3-4 years ago, but the above is pretty much the reality today.

Mac.
  • Dimitri, what year Krause is that?
    My '96 quotes $225, 325, 485, 1000.
    Thanks Mac!
    Brad Swain

Lightside prices!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Actually, I'll be hosting this coin on Ebay in a little while for the owner. I'll add the url here when it's ready if anyone has interest. It's out of my price range.
    Brad Swain

<< <i> Lightside prices!! >>

Nope! The 1855 is just the major KEY date in the one rap series by a long shot. For instance, you could buy a very pretty 1857 in a nice red and brown MS65 for in the neighborhood of $175 vs. maybe $1000+ for the 1855.

Notice, too, that the increments are very small from F to Unc. (smooth slope).......most other dates the prices plummet below choice XF.
  • Here's the Ebay auction.
    If you see anything that could be edited or added to improve it then please let me know.
    Brad Swain

Tbirde, I don't see a picture!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

Looks good! Now maybe chsocal will come along. Good price too. image
    It's not slabbed! It must be junk, fake, or worse!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• image No, it's a collectible world coin. image
    Brad Swain

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In terms of e-bay stuff I would take that link to your website off ASAP...I have read of many people that have had become NARU'ed (though temporarily apparently) for this.

• The coin didn't get any bids at $295 so it's relisted at 1/3 off at $199, just over half the catalog value.
    Link
    Brad Swain