Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

You just can't trust the catalogs!

Krause includes Meiji 8 (1875) in its listing of Japanese 50 sen silver coins, with a mintage of 109. While researching an EBay listing (which turned out to have a year 10 when I got the seller to e-mail me a clearer picture than the one in his listing) I discovered that the JNDA catalog did not list the coin.

Here's the response I got when I e-mailed an inquiry:

<< <i>Regarding your question for Dragon 50 sen, Meiji 8, we would like to explain to you as follows.
It is correct that the above coin was issued historically. Once, JNDA Catalog also listed this issue. However, as our catalog is published for the purpose of indicating the market prices instead of using as an encyclopedia. And the above coin was not be able to be evaluated as it's not appeared in the market or auction. Eventually, JNDA has decided to delete this coin from our catalog.

We hope your understanding on the above explanation.

Best regards,

T. Takeda
JNDA >>

The %$%$)(( Krause 30th Edition values it at only $27,500 uncirculated, which doesn't make the top 25 valuations for Japanese coins by quite a margin. image
Roy

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Picture ?image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Please explain to this poor dolt why I should not be impressed by Krause 30th Edition values it at only $27,500 uncirculated this amount? Was the JNDA substantially higher-do you own the coin in question?image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    OK, that was about as clear as peanut butter.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    JNDA doesn't say that the coin doesn't exist only that it hasn't appeared on the market lately so they dropped it from the listings. The Krause price may indicate the last sale price or a guess at the current market based on the last sale price. In US coins the 70-S three dollar and the 1822 half eagle haven't sold for over 20 years. How would you price those in a guide? The Redboo just lists the last sale price. If they followed JNDA's example they would just drop them from the listings. That's a real help.