Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1887 British Set

Do you think there are any original sets still in existance? This one is in an original case but the seller states the coins are EF to gEF so it must be a put together set. From the photos the coins may even be MS not PF.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that most of the times these sets show up with coins ranging from EF to unc .I would never buy such a set online, for it is virtually impossible to realize what you're buying from these "family" pictures.

Here's another one that was recently sold on eBay. I've been offered a similar set by a collector,with all gold coins in MS63 minimum ,for 65% of the realized price of the eBay set, but we still haven't reached an agreement,because I want him to remove the silver coins (EF at best) and deduce $300. In return,I'm offering him a similar case for the remaining silver coins that is now housing my own silver set,far superior to his.

edited to add: the coins in these sets are NOT proof (like George VI's specimen sets) but (supposedly first strike) unc.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭✭
    There's definetely something wrong with this set ajaan. Why on earth would a young head sixpence be there? If any,it should be the one that looks like the half-sov ,right?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One would think so. The 1887 coins come in both the young head and the funkly crown head sytle. You would think all the coins in the set would be the same style.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    The owner of my local coin store used to work for Bowers & Ruddy. He said they got a number of those sets in, broke up the sets, and threw away the boxes. image

He said that was the way things were done in the late '60's and early '70's.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭
    That set is an "unofficial" one in an unofficial case.

Year sets of this type are common - most are in mediocre shape.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.