Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are you a target coin submitter or a coin submitting mercenary??

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you seek out or target coins from a certain series to submit or do you submit ANY raw coin that looks like it could make a homerun. I myself will submit any coin if the numbers crunch to make it more than worth the time and expense of submitting. I will even submit coins that I personally don't like if the coin can be sold for a decent profit.

Comments

  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433 ✭
    I look for coins that would be worth more slabbed, as opposed to raw, or raw coins that look undergraded. In this day and age, slabbed stuff is usually much more liquid than raw stuff.
    I don't necessarily look for "homeruns".
    In my most recent NGC submission, I have a couple of toned Morgans that will be easier to sell slabbed, as opposed to raw, a couple of commem's, one with real cool toning that would never sell raw at the same level that it will sell slabbed, and the other that I purchased knowing that it was better than the marked grade.
    No homeruns, but much more liquid items for the marketplace.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

    Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    So far I have only submitted a particular variety for attribution,presearvation and liquidity for future sales.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I do both. Seek out specific coins for my stash, but also coins that I think I can turn for a profit. The second part to support the first part.

    Now, there are some people who just submit everything that comes in. The "throw it at the wall" approach. Right, Marty? image

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>The "throw it at the wall" approach. >>


    I have had some nice coins stick to the wall doing that.image
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an intresting topic, because I have to go and try to find four coins to submit for my free grading at PCGS. Usually the coins I purchase are already holdered. So when ever they send me the free submission form from the new membership, I often wonder what in the world am I going to use the free grading on.

    I want to try to find something worth while to submit, something that would be worth a little premium being slabbed vs raw. I thought about going around to a few shows and picking up some coins to submit. Maybe a few lower grade key dates or even some nice Morgan's. I even considered a few moderns, but wouldnt know where to start in that arena. Maybe I could find some segs or ICG coins that are correctly graded submit them to pcgs to enhance the value? or look around for some undergraded PCGS coins break-em and try those for a higher grade?

    any suggestions would be helpful???
  • Options
    I do the same as Russ.image
    Gary
    image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file