Options
The hardest collection??
Here's a new twist on collecting coins - take your favorite coin and try to find certified examples of this ONE date and mintmark in all grades from PO01 to MS70 and all grades and subgrades in between (i.e. PO01, FR02, AG03, G04, G06, VG08, VG10, etc. Bet no one out there has a set like this. It would be hard on both the high and low ends to complete. It would be cool to see the grade progression on this
"If we are facing in the right direction, all we need to do is keep on walking." - David Brent
0
Comments
In older sets the set would be pretty easy until the Unc. Grades of MS67 and higher when the house would need to be mortgaged. I bet the easiest set to do this set would be the mid twentieth century coins. Lincolns, jeffersons, Washingtons or Franklins.
Tyler
But actually, that might be pretty cool to see the progression through the grades, especially if the coins were all well matched and the same year/mint.
Since this is a grading set, I want to find the cheapest coins possible. But you are correct, since most of the coins in low grade aren't expensive, no one slabs say a 1945-P in a G-4. The only G-4's or VG-8's I'll see slabbed are probably the 1916-D, maybe the 21's? (which are too expensive for a grading set, and I couldn't afford them anyways). So it is really tough to do this. I started several months ago, even posted a message the the B/S/T board, but no takers. The one PCGS slab I have (AU-58) I bought off eBay.
Still if I had some very disposable income this would be fun to try - remember it has to be the same coin, date and mintmark for the full spectrum of grades...
I collect PCGS and NGC slabs, every variety, with the same date, denomination, and grade.
An example would be an 1881-s Morgan MS-64 in each and every different slab by PCGS and NGC.
By the way, I don't collect the above mentioned coin. It is something totally different. (GRASSHOPPER, DO NOT SAY ANYTHING!)
njcoincrank
I do not have access to the pop reports. What coins have graded MS70? Similarly for any PR70?