Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone know what this coin is in particular? (big pics)

I snapped it up in a junk box and it looked quite intriguing, but I'm not sure what it is exactly. And I only have a 20th century krause... Any help is good help. image

Comments

• Options
    It is a Essequibo & Demerary . I can see 1813 as the date, but not the denomonation. It does match closely to either the 1/2 stiver or 1 stiver coin depending on size.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guyana (Essequibo and Demerary), 1/2 Stiver or 1 stiver, 1813 (both one-year types). The stiver is large penny-sized, the half stiver more like a halfpenny (slightly larger than a US quarter, in other words).

Edit: that always happens. I knew somebody would answer 30 seconds to a minute before I did.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PS- that's King George III on the obverse, in case you weren't already aware of it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Heh, did some research on my own and found this info:

http://www.napoleonicmedals.org/coins/brit13-3.htm

Out of pure curiosity, is it worth at least $0.30? image
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Looks to be the 1/2 stiver variety. Pretty neat, though, whatever its value!
  • Options
    Value? Probably well below a buck, as is.

But you're right- it is a neat find. I can never pass stuff like that up, when I see it in junkboxes.