Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Submitting doubled dies to PCGS

I have a few I need to get slabbed and was wondering if these coins have to be sent through the "mint error" service or is economy OK. Anyone have any first hand knowledge they would like to share.

Thanks.
Bruggs

Comments

  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True doubled dies are mint errors
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are a recognized variety, then you can send them in for regular service. Otherwise you need to use the error service. Keep in mind PCGS will not designate Doubled Dies as Doubled Dies unless they are in the Cherry Pickers guide (at least that is what they told me when they would not designate my DDR Liberty Nickel that was sent in under the error service)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    I thought doubled dies were varieties. Errors were off-center, off-metal, double struck etc.
  • Options
    Double check the variety and than ckeck with them!! They are vey PARTICULAR with the DD's! You will pay one way or the other if they don't recognize the FS#! If EXTREMELY OBVIOUS, than submit!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

    NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

    WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    I had some 1960 proof overdates graded under regular service for my free submissions.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought they designated DDs as mint errors... lemme check...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just saw one... not marked mint error... so maybe you don't have to send it mint error service...

    I'd call them and ask, though...

    Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Will PCGS attribute all doubled dies, or only certain "popular" ones?
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Will PCGS attribute all doubled dies, or only certain "popular" ones? >>



    They will NOT attribute all doubled dies. That is what they told me on the one I submitted. Love to hear they changed their mind.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options


    << <i>They will NOT attribute all doubled dies. That is what they told me on the one I submitted >>





    That's too bad, I have several DDO quarters that I was considering submitting. They are more obscure, though recognized, varieties.
  • Options
    I sent in a 1942 S/S/S DDO and had to send copies of the pages from Cherrypickers, as well as from Wexler"s book. Even with that it took about three months to have the coin slabbed as the coin stated.
    Even though the coin was slabbed early this year it still doesn't show up in the Pop report.

    I would suggest calling them and seeing what you need to do.

    Good luck

    Ogden
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I asked a question on the Tuesday night Q&Q forum a while back. I wanted to know if PCGS would slab a Wexler-attributed Jefferson that I bought directly from John Wexler on one of his eBay auctions. Homerun responded by asking me who Wexler was. I thought he was joking, but replied anyway. Never got an answer. So this beautiful, high-grade steel-blue proof DDO sits in the original 2x2 holder. Go figure.........image

    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    True doubled dies are mint errors - untrue.

    I thought doubled dies were varieties. Errors were off-center, off-metal, double struck etc. - true.

    Doesn't matter what a third party grader calls them, that's not their specialty and they use the wrong terminology regularly.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

    My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
    image
  • Options
    I think it's sorta funny how no one (including myself) really knows for 100% certain??? But, I beleive that if it is a coin in the pop report, you can send it in under economy, regular, express, or walk-thru. If not, you have to send in under error program to get it attributed. I beleive if it is a recognized variety (whether or not in Cherrypickers but necessarily on the COINECA website if Lincoln's e.g.) that NGC &/or ANACS has designated they will also - UNDER THE ERROR PROGRAM. I REALLY wish PCGS would clarify publicly & carve it in stone once & for all.
  • Options
    I can't remember who replaced Charlie Kahler, or who replaced his replacement....but..... I called and spoke to Charlie when I submitted my 1942 S/S/S DDO. I sent the coin to him, and when I wanted an answer I wrote "HIM" Then when I checked on the coin I said I had "talked to Charlie" Anyone who wants to send in an "error coin" should first contact whoever took his place if Charlie isn't there ( I don't think he is) to continue contact. It's not going to be easy if the coin hasn't been previously attributed by PCGS, but that's just what your'e up again. It wasn't so bad. It will take time, but just be patient and persistent.


    Ogden
  • Options
    On my last submission I got 2 1960 pf-67 tripple die obverse . This is a new designation for them . I guess I had to send in exampels of all 3 overdates so they could see them side by side.
  • Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    After numerous submissions (all are recognized in Cherrypickers Guide), I got very inconsistent answers from PCGS. I'm not sure if a policy exists. A couple that I submitted, I was told "unless it is popular, we don't recognize it". Again, I couldn't figure out what "popular" means. This got to be such a big issue with NGC, that they sent out a Varieties booklet indicating what sources they would recognize. PCGS does NOT recognize all coins in the CP Guide. I hope that they define a policy in the near future.

    keoj

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file