Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

has anyone had luck using.....

Simple question, really. Which of us or or have used successfully an opaque projector for their coins?

Many of you will remember these from your school days of long ago.. the teacher pulling down the screen in front of the class and using these huge clunky things (the new ones are much more streamline) and projecting drawings or small objects onto the screen. I sat in many hours of science class with a nun natural science teacher (think about that for a second or two) who loved to project her endless supply of preserved leaves and pieces of quarts in interesting colors, or so she thought.

I came across a new unit recently which was being marketed to the wall stenciling crowd but thought it could be handy for super enlarging coins for a good look at minute detail.

Anyone have raves or horror stories? TIA

Kris

"I haven't understood anything since "Party" became a verb."

"I think I have finally lived long enough to realize that the big man in the sky aint talking" Ogden Nash

"When all you got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Comments

  • Options
    I've seen it done and it worked well. However, I have some reservations about it. The very powerful light used wuld tend to make the coin rather hot during prolonged use. I would be a little conserned about whether this heat would cause discoloration of the coin eventually.
  • Options
    Yes, I know what you are talking about, yes, I have seen these, and, yes, I have used these myself on rare occasion for paper drawings. I got to use one at Ft. Rucker's Army's commander's conference room, so I have a unique experience. I have not seen these used with coins. Actually, I think this is a great idea, as long as you don't leave the coin under a bright light for an extended period of time.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file