Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is the 1856 flying eagle a penny or a pattern coin ?

When I picked up my flyer the other day I was talking to the person I bought it from and he told me he never sold a 56 flyer because he wasn't into patterns and that the 56 flyer wasn't a real coin, just a pattern. Is that true ? If anyone out their is going "well da" I'm asking because I didn't know that. I remember in the old coin albulms a place for the 56 so I thought that meant legal tender.

Les
The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.

Comments

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    barber: The 1856 FE cent is listed by A&W, Judd and Pollack as a pattern. It is technically a pattern. At one time, it was not legal tender although it was distributed by the US Mint officials to the general public when they had some kind of fair in front of the US Mint.

The 1856 FE cent is in fact one of the most, if not the most common of all patterns, that it became acceptable to consider it as a regular coin issue prior to the 1857 FE cent.

The $4 stellas are also patterns!!

Ask Mr. Eureke for more details on this fair they held. He can tell you since he was there!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Oreville said, it's considered a pattern and a numismatic classic, Judd 180. The primary controversy these days is regarding original (S1 and S3) vs restrikes (primarily S9). The restrikes are much more common. A significant price differential has developed between the original "MS" and restrike "proof" coins, especially if the original is in a MS PCGS holder (registry effect). I received a very tempting offer for mine last month! There are proof S9's in MS holders so be sure to buy the coin and not the holder.

The pictures are of the S1 and S3. The top S1 (PCGS AU58) has a tilted "one cent" with respect to the wreath. Snow feels this was THE original 1856, rejected because of the reverse blunder. It's a R8 pattern, 2 known to Snow. The second coin is the S3, MS format, PCGS MS65. The key is the repunched 5 and high leaf reverse, no centering dot.

A excellant reference is Snows attribution guide 1856-1858 - I would be lost w/o it. It's available at his site, Eagle Eye Rare Coins.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was struck as a pattern, Like Lake Sammanman said, then as a "simulated" regular issue in MS format (which was legally issued to Congressmen). Then after the Mint Act of 1857 authorized the nickel cent, they were restruck for collectors in Proof format.

So, they are both a pattern, regular issue!

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file