Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay Reserve Auction Question

I just watched an auction end that had a reserve price that had not been met yet. I was high bidder(not really a serious bid) with 8 minutes to go. Then watched a guy bid 16 times without the auction price changing until the end when someone else placed a bid.

Question...is there any way to have your price jump to the next price without someone else bumping it up?

Would like to know for future reference....Thanks

Comments

  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    If you meet the reserve it will.
  • Options
    Can someone explain the rationale of a having a reserve vs. no reserve with higher opening bid?
  • Options
    I assume he was searching for the reserve price and was frustrated that his bid price was not changing.
  • Options
    Placid...are you saying that if he finally hit the reserve that his bid amount would finally change?
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Placid...are you saying that if he finally hit the reserve that his bid amount would finally change? >>

    Yes. Whenever you bid, your bid doesn't increase, unless there is a bid from someone else that bumps you, or if you were not a full incremement above the highest bid before you.

    If you bid on a reserve item, bids go up the same way, but automatically hit the reserve price if a bid matches/goes beyond it.

    Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I didn't know that and I've been around eBay for quite awhile.

    Thanks Placid & Jeremy
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500 ✭
    as long as you are high bidder and you up your bid - it does not change until reserve is met



    rational??? if an auction has more bids -> more interest than more people will see it and click on the title to see description



    for example you have something worth $100 -> start at $95 may not sell

    start at $1 with a $100 reserve, much better chance at getting your $100 (or much more)
  • Options
    I see, that makes sense.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file