Options
Going to my first show
Hello All,
I'm a fairly new collector. I have mostly new stuff bought straight from the mint. I lgoing to my first coin show on Saturday in Metairie, Louisiana. I'm hoping to start a serices of Peace dollars. Any Advice?
I'm a fairly new collector. I have mostly new stuff bought straight from the mint. I lgoing to my first coin show on Saturday in Metairie, Louisiana. I'm hoping to start a serices of Peace dollars. Any Advice?
Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
0
Comments
Here are links to three previous threads on shows - hopefully this will help a bit:
Link
Another one
One more
Let me add my welcome.The advice you've already received is excellent.Read the prior posts.Look at as many Peace dollars as possible.Don't buy the first one.I too am putting together a peace Dollar set.
Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
You might consider buying certified Peace dollars to start off with. When you learn more about grading(Peace Dollars), then you might want to buy raw(uncertified) coins. Buying an overgraded coin is the same as buying an overpriced coin. Take merz2's advice an don't buy the first Peace dollar you see.
Welcome to the boards.All I can ad is try going with someone that's seasoned.Al
You almost had it on your first try linking a site! Not bad.
Welcome to the board, Mercury. There's good stuff in the threads that coinguy1 linked. Hope you enjoy the show.
New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.
And thanks for all the advice, I've been excited all week and I have been wanting to ask for advice for days, but I did'nt get my username and password for a week.
i can feel the anticipation. the what should i look at, what should i look for. how should i act , etc.....
first bring a wad of cash and expect to blow it all on junk and you shouldnt feel too bad for about atleast a year
or so.
really though take a loupe with you if you can and maybe a Redbook for general reference if you have one of those too. and ofcourse the wad of cash.
not sure what your selection will be like but i might say, not really knowing, that there will probably be a lot
of raw junk, overgraded,overpriced, and if you do happen on a good top tier slabbed coin it could be
outside of your price range, as slabbed jacks up the price of a coin too so.....the more you learn to grade
the better power you have to make better buying decisions. so sharpen your grading skills the best you can
and go to the show and expect to be dissappointed.
<< <i>Thanks Cam......Now I thinking....Take less money because I just going to blow it on worthless coins. >>
It is the solemn right of all new collectors to blow money on crappy coins at their first few shows.
New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.
I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.
Always looking for nice type coins
my local dealer
Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.