Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grades AU55-58 coins...undervalued, hidden gems...?

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
- which series do you think are priced at "bargain" levels?
- do you buy them raw or certified; if the latter which service would you recommend?
- if raw, where do you acquire yours...ebay, dealers or?
- any dealers specialize in AU55-58 coins?

Comments

  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Easy, I make my own!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MM...mind sharing some of your secrets...don't wanna monopolize it do ya?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An original 1892-s Morgan that hasn't been dipped or enhanced in any way is a very tough coin. Look at the pop reports, look at the greysheet bid/ask in MS60 and AU, Look at the popularity of the Registry, and that should tell you there are not enough MS examles to go around. There are some unattractive dipped out ones that have been slabbed that hurt this particular date. I view this as under valued and underrated in terms of overall scarcity.

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Hey KK, Can't tell you! Russ has been trying to get me to spill the beans for years!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some of us the key dates and semi-key in AU50-58 are all we can afford in the Morgan series; that is IF you can find decent ones.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked my AU58 34P Washington so much that I decided to try and put a set together using only 58's. So far I've got 5, with 2 more on the way from board members here. Of the five I have, the 45D is really nice. I put it beside a 44P in a PCGS 65 holder and I can't tell the difference. There is one big difference though, the 45D cost me only 10.00. I really like the 58 grade in the Washington series.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

    Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    WElcome, KK!

    imageimageimage
    .....GOD
    image

    "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

    "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

    "For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    depends on the coin. recent coins I like in gem bu and proof. last half of 19th century coins I like in choice AU and low Unc grades. early 19th and late 18th century coins I like in the middle and low circ grades like Very Fine and Very Good. Sometimes I'll buy raw, sometimes I'll buy certified coins and break them out. I like to see them with only air between the coin and my eye, and feel the metal edges. i like to display them in albums instead of boxes of slabs. but thats just me. image

    Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys -
    Cut it outimage; you're making my mouth water and tempting me to ca$h in my panda/maple leafs to start acquiring the tasty morsels.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784 ✭
    Whew, just when I thought there was no market for my "gem" AU-55 1944-S Washington ... image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58 and MS62 are the bargain grades. More bang for your buck, no doubt about it.

    (I originally typo'ed "more bang for your Buick", LOL)

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744 ✭
    I agree completely. I'm building a type set and have a few AU58s that look 63 and cost a fraction.

    One of the coolest sets I saw was Tonelover's AU Standing Lib collection. Here is a link to his post. What a great way to collect.

    LINK
    Tom

    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

    Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file