Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: I am drowning in auction catalogs!

RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
Heritage, B&M, Superior, ANR, Scotsman (no, I do not bother with Stacks)...In the last year or so, I have received seemingly countless auction catalogs. I have purchased coins from Heritage, B&M, and Superior, and consigned coins to Scotsman, so the catalogs should keep coming for a while. Some of them are very interesting/educational--others are rather mundane. What do others do?

Comments

  • Options
    Add the Goldberg's.

    TBT
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I save every single one. I love looking through them.

    Cheers,

    Bob
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I save them all (and have multiples of many now). I need more book shelves and a plan on how to arrange them.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I save all of them, and buy more of the old ones I don't have. Last year I built a detached garage/workshop to house my DeSoto's and auction catalogs.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Sell them.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I toss them after the auction. If I win a coin, I tear out that page from the catalog and staple it to the invoice, for future reference. You guys must have endless bookshelves!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭
    I love auction catalogs. They get me fired up for auctions that I might otherwise not bother with.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have decided that I am going to keep the ones that are interesting (large cent errors, Jay Roe fractional gold collection, 1804 Silver Dollar feature, Bass 1861-D $5) and discard those that are a random smattering of coins.

    It is tempting also to discard the Heritage catalogs that come with a CD-ROM. The CD-ROM is much easier to store. Frankly, the online archives for Heritage and B&M are very easy to use, and the Heritage archives are usually amenable to research auctions for specific date/MM/condition coins.

    Robert
  • Options


    I only collect Lincolns. So, if there are no high end Lincolns in a particular sale, that catalog gets circular filed.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who feels overly burdened with auction catalogs are more than welcome to send them on to me. I will gladly pay postage...book rate of course image

    Cheers,

    Bob
  • Options
    Usually take the ones I don't want to keep to the weekly coin club meeting auction. Always auction them with the proceeds going to the club...usually will bring couple of dollars a catalogue and someone else enjoys the catalogue again.
    Collect for enjoyment
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    There's no check mark for "I don't have no stinking auction catalogs and have never received any."
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple 4 drawer file cabinets in the garage. Each one holds about 4-5 years of catalogs, in perfect order. It's cheap and doesn't take up much space.
    Gone but not forgotten: IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Ricko, Big Moose, Cardinal, CoinsAreFun.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Only have one auction catalog and I've saved it so far.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭
    I'm with mgoodm3, I don't get no stinkin catalogs.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I'm also with mgoodm3 and Steve27.

    I do not have a single auction catalog, and don't want any. Besides, if the coin is in an auction catalog, I couldn't afford it anyways. I have a hard enough time reading and throwing out the weekly NN. Just went through those last night, and threw out everything before Jan 2003.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless a catalog can serve as a reference work for a series, which very few do, it just takes up valuable shelf space.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Don't get any. Knowing my pack-rat ways, I'm glad that I don't. image
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • Options
    I never get any because I'm a cheap screw....
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I save them and collect all early plated cat.'s. Great reference tool. K
  • Options


    << <i>Unless a catalog can serve as a reference work for a series, which very few do, it just takes up valuable shelf space.

    -------------------------
    Think like a dealer. >>



    291fifth -

    Now theres a numismatic oxymoron if I've ever seen one.

    If you want to think like a dealer (and I assume you do or you woudn't be using that little tagline) then you better save those auction catalogs and track what the coins you collect are selling for. It may surprise you to learn which of the same old coins show up in shiny new holders in the next catalog.


  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭
    Love those catalogues!
    Coupled with the collated list of prices paid and auction source ,they are an incredible resource.
    Trime
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭
    I'm curious -- who actually reads the catalogues they receive? If you read them (and I don't mean flipping through and looking at the big pictures), do you only read the series you collect or do you read it all?

    From the sound of some of the posts, auction catalogues are more consumed as temporary buying resource than used as permanent tool. I prefer the later more than the former, which is why my apartment has one more bedroom than people I suppose. There is not a day that goes by that I don't use an old auction catalogue.

    For those who don't know what to do with their old ones, I'd recommend either boxing them up and shipping them to the ANA Library (who sells their duplicates every year and uses the money to buy new books for the membership) or taking them to a local coin club as one poster suggested -- my local coin club was the first place I was exposed to auction catalogues as a source of information and where I began to build my library as a young collector.
    John Kraljevich, Director of Numismatic Americana, Stack's Bowers Galleries
  • Options


    << <i>I'm curious -- who actually reads the catalogues they receive? If you read them (and I don't mean flipping through and looking at the big pictures), do you only read the series you collect or do you read it all?
    >>



    John -

    Based on a piece of advice from Dave Bowers, I started building a catalog library and now have most every Stacks, Bowers, Heritage, Goldberg, Superior, Merkin, Melkin, Pine Tree, New Netherlands, Kagin's and Paramount catalog plus all kinds of obscure one-off stuff dating back to about 1950 or so with a few of the old classics thrown in.

    I read the colonial sections every day - either researching a particular coin or just killing time before work. It seems like theres always something new to be learned even re-reading one I've looked at dozens of times.

    For anyone spending any meaningful money on coins I think assembling at least a basic catalog library is mandatory.
  • Options
    Auction catalogs have been an absolute necessity to me in my study of individual examples and pedigrees of early US half dollars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file