Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FINALLY! A new picture of the 1875-S $20 in PCGS MS-67. UPDATE TWO BETTER CLOSEUPS NOW POSTED

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
A lousy picture. Better and more detailed ones coming up later.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, 67 and a green holder, too.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    That is cool! I look forward to the better picture later.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Wow-- that looks a lot better than the banged up 1875-S MS-63's I usually see. I'm surprised such a huge gold coin could survive in that shape, unless it were originally picked up as a souvenir (a $20 souvenir would be unusual for that time).
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    shirohniichan: It was rumored that Harvey Stack was there in 1875 to pick up the coin right off the mint press!
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with that picture; very nice looking coin. Your 67 is in a league of its own. Next highest graded is a single 64? Wowzer.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options

<< <i>shirohniichan: It was rumored that Harvey Stack was there in 1875 to pick up the coin right off the mint press! >>

That makes sense. Even falling into the hopper could easily damage that large of a gold coin.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    How much is a coin like that worth or is that rude to ask?
  • Options
    The Numish: I don't know. The only known recorded price on this coin is on the greysheet. In 1997, the greysheet listed it at a bid price of $130,000. Today it has risen to bid $130,500.

When Stacks auctioned it in 1994 (?) it sold for $82,000 raw, according to my recollection.

To me, this coin is the definition of condition rarity. No other type II $20 has been graded MS-67. Hardly any has been graded MS-66 either.
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oreville- That coin is amazing! It really shouldn't even exist in that condition!image Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1997, the greysheet listed it at a bid price of $130,000. Today it has risen to bid $130,500.

At that rate, you'll have a 200K coin by, what, 2837? image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    oreville that is incredibleimage
    Michael
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    An amazing gold coin. Thanks for the photo.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Ok, these are the promised real closeups of the 1875-S Liberty $20. There are no marks on the coin. They are on the plastic slab.

• Options
    Gorgeous!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truly amazing!!! twenty dollar libs are outstanding.

I think you should buy the PF67 Trompeter 1864 specimen that Mark has for sale...

It looks so lonely and needs a partner...image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah... I've seen better...

Oh, wait... no I haven't imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    coinlieutenant: That 1864 Trompeter that Mark has is truly special.

However, it is not for me.

I am a mint state guy. Proofs don't do it for me. Why?

Jay Parrino back in 1978 told me his philosophy and I took it to heart. He said:

"Proofs were made to look nice. Mint state coins were meant to circulate and were not made to look nice."

I never forgot that quote.

There is one major exception: Patterns in proof!!!!
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! The only problem with coins this nice is that it raises the bar for future purchasesimage A problem I wish I had image. mike
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Like shiroh said, it's amazing a coin that large (and soft!) could have made it into a mint bag without a few dings. We'll never know, but perhaps it had special handling at the mint for some reason.

Fantastic coin, oreville. Thanks for sharing.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Beautiful coin!!image
    Golds up a few more bucks today so that'll be $130,510image
    Glenn

Live Long and Prospect.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    Beautiful image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    You should probably let me hold on to that for safe keeping.
  • Options
    LOVELY, LOVELY, LOVELY, LOVELY! Words just can't express the beauty of this speciman but LOVELY!...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a mint state guy. Proofs don't do it for me. Why?

My distinction isn't so much the method of manufacture but the purpose in manufacture.

A proof made for diplomatic presentation to the King of Siam might be a cool thing to have. A proof made to display a new design to members of Congress might be a cool thing to have. A proof made to sell to collectors is not as interesting to me, even if - image - it's a pattern.

Of course, this isn't just about proofs. MS 70 1973-S Ikes do nothing for me because the issue did not circulate. MS 66 1971-D Ikes are pretty cool.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    That is a thing of beauty!image
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW- that second set of pics really blew me away!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I agree with Mr. Eureka except for patterns only because the designs or metals are so different from the usual coins.

Also patterns in off metals proofs can be considered relative poor mans proofs since they are often 1/10th the price of the real proofs sold at the time!
  • Options
    There has to be a story behind this coin-- if only we knew what it was.

Most $20 gold pieces were used as bank reserves or shipped overseas in trade. Supposedly San Fransisco and Carson City issues circulated more than Philadelphia coins because people in western states had less faith in paper currency and preferred hard money. Even so, it seems hard to imagine that someone picked one out of a bag or a roll or saved one handed to him by a bank cashier. I don't know of any presentation strikings of '75-S double eagles, though there were some branch mint proofs of double dimes that year.

Regardless of its provenience, it's a beautiful coin.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the James A Stack, Sr. Collection sold by Stacks on March 15, 1995; Lot #715 and described as follows:

1875-S Superb Gem Brilliant Uncirculated. Outstanding quality, possibly the finest business strike Type II Double Eagle known. An exciting opportunity for the discriminating collector. Double Eagles were the yeoman workhorses of the US gold coins in the 1870's: major bank transactions involved large numbers of Double Eagles, for example. Consequently, almost all the $20 Gold that survive from this period are circulated and the few that are not are in grades lower than choice. This specimen is, without a doubt, one of the finest we have ever had the privilege of handling. To the best of our recollection, we have not auctioned a finer example, nor have we ever seen one to equal this coin. Both sides are a lovely, bright, light orange yellow gold in color. The mint luster is complete and makes perfectly formed cartwheels on both sides. The surfaces are frosty and lustrous and are virtually undisturbed by breaks in the frosting. A short section of deep coppery toning along the obverse rim at 3 o'clock will serve to "hallmark" this extraordinary coin. Here is a prize, indeed, for the truly advanced collector of double eagles.

Outstanding coin, Oreville!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>MS 70 1973-S Ikes do nothing for me because the issue did not circulate. >>

Andy,

That being the case, I'll gladly relieve you af any and all Ikes you have in the MS70 grade. I don't even care what year. I'll even pay the postage.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Real Beauty! imageimage
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • Options
    Andy, It may not do nothing for you, but if you made one of those, Im sure your bank account wouldnt mind!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    BTW oreville, How much do you want?
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    Nice!!!image
  • Options
    A tremendous coin, Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Just an outstanding "take your breath away" coin. Thanks for the pics.

keoj
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    oreville dats a beauty indeed. I bought a st gaudens N/M for a type set, nothing special, a ms62 1908...believe theres only 40 billion of em or some sheet image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    Hands down this coin gets my vote for "Acquisiton of the Year"!

Absolutely breathtakingly exquisite coin Oreville! image
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oreville
    I would love to see that coin in hand.Outstanding,.Al
  • Options
    Wow, That coin is simply amazing. It just took the top spot on my list of the best coins, Stewart's Princess is a close second.
  • Options
    A 10! I wouldn 't squawk if that were an MS68.
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    I saw this in Oreville's PCGS registry type set and was dying for a pic. I'm glad it was shared with everyone. I've been specializing in gold mint state coins and this is a good as it gets (literally).

Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    Wow. I would have blushed if these comments were about me!!

But this is not about this collector at all. It is about the miracle of preservation or as Shiro said "there has to be a story behind this."

I will once again ask the Stack family if they remember any stories behind this coin.
  • Options
    Looks even better in person!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file