Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is haze on a coin ever attractive?

Does anyone have an example of a coin where haze actually enhances the eye appeal?

Dan

Comments

  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    This one would look better covered with haze.
    image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭
    Is haze on a coin ever attractive?

    I would say "No". But I'm open to being proven wrong.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    IS THIS HAZE?

    image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    As above, if it's pretty colored haze.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Maybe if it's purple.
  • Options
    jbsteven - that sure is a beautiful Morgan Dollar!

    That does bring up another question: is "haze" the same as "toning"?

    I would think that they are similar in that they both result from a coin's surface reacting with various gasses. I think of haze as being a white cloudiness, whereas toning is colorful and does not give a cloudy appearance (like a steamy mirror).

    Dan

  • Options
    thanks

    When I think of haze I think of milky stuff on proof/proof like coins.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>When I think of haze I think of milky stuff on proof/proof like coins. >>

    I agree... but it depends on the coin.

    With proof ikes, for example, what, at one angle, looks like haze can prove to be very colorful and pretty... same with some other proofs.

    On the other hand, some are just... ick... and then haze is bad...

    Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭
    I can't think of a situation where haze can be considered to enhance either the eye appeal or value of a coin. Sometimes haze may accompany a certain type of toning, such as when a coin is in direct contact with high sulfur content paper for an extended period. The resulting hazy color may be more attractive overall than the untoned coin, but one cannot say that the haze itself makes the toning or the coin more attractive.
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would this be haze?? image

    imageimage
    Ken
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hazed Coin.

    image
    image
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Is haze on a coin ever attractive? >>


    Heck yes, If there is alot of irredesent luster underneath the haze. Kind of like Fairlaneman"s Merc. dime.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file