Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Why you should never use a rubberband to secure a stack of 2x2s!!!

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    You know, I was wondering about that this morning when looking at medals and saw it-couldn't figure out how it might have gotten there. A rubber band... is there anything that won't harm coins? (outside of acetone).image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    There's one on the obverse too.image

So rubber-band contaminants can go through mylar? Or does it matter what the flip is made of?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So rubber-band contaminants can go through mylar? Or does it matter what the flip is made of? >>

Mylar 2x2s? Yes! PVC or SaFlips? Probably; it would just take a little longer. TPGs slabs? I wouldn't bet against it! Maybe I'll sacrifice something in a test.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    About 6 years ago I stored a couple stacks of coins in mylar flips held together by rubber bands, and a few years later I retrieved them, and found that the rubber bands had become stuck to the mylar in some places. However, I noticed no adverse effects on the coins. I don't use rubber bands anymore.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    That is one nicely designed helmeted Marianne. image

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    But there is a black stripe across the front AND the back of the medal. Did they use a rubber band to hold together a single 2X2 flip??imageimage
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So rubber-band contaminants can go through mylar? >>

Been there, done that. I had the rubber band mark after only 2 weeks touching a 2003 Britannia Silver £2 in a 2 x 2 holder.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did they use a rubber band to hold together a single 2X2 flip?? >>

Don't know; when I saw it I was reminded of instances of rubberbands around the mylar-window cardboard 2x2s which I've seen in the past.

I believe Susan Maltby (?) in Coin World has touched on this subject in past articles. Anyway, here's a few other links.

A rubberbands active ingredient is sulfur.

Another tidbit
  • Options
    I saw that one -- I've been looking for an example mating that obv. and rev., so I was quite disappointed when I saw the streak. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I remember ajaan's thread about rubber bands.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.