Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A new Masonic from 1809

From the Grand Lodge of the Herodom in France.

This beauty is probably from Paris since it covers the entire country. It is very hard to find and is particularly
interesting to me in the use of English in the legend.

imageimage
Vern
You want how much?!!
NapoleonicMedals.org
(Last update 3/6/2007)

Comments

• laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    A beautiful piece in very nice condition image Why was english used in the legend? Were the mason's of that period primarily english speaking?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    That is odd ... it certainly wouldn't happen today. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    That's cool, Vern!! What's the metal?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • The Masons are an interesting society. There are claims that it has existed from antiquity and there's a lot of evidence
    that it started, as we know it today, about 1717 or so in Scotland. BTW here's a link to the finished page on my website. There are much larger pics available if you click on either the obverse or reverse there.

One of the branches of Masons uses the "Scottish Rite" and this medal is from that branch I suspect. In the lower portion of the obverse is a medal (on the medal) of St. Andrews. So, you get English on a French medal in the middle of a war between the two countries! And probably Napoleon, a Mason himself, thought nothing of it.

I'm awaiting shipment of the last bunch of these from the dealer I got them from. image

Edited to add, it's a heavy silver medal about the size and weight of a silver dollar or 5 franc piece.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Who controls the British Crown?
    Who keeps the Metric System down?
    We dooooo....
    We dooooo....

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • imageimage

Seriously though, in researching the Masons in re. the tokens I've been putting up, these folks have been accused of everything from baby bar-b-ques to removing the silver from liteside coinage... No evidence of any of that that I've found; secretive little devils but that's their perogative. image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)