Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Poll: Spink or Coincraft?

Let's settle this debate right now!image
Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted 'I'm confused' which shouldn't surprise many people.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both have their particular uses. Spink's is easier to handle; Coincraft gives better tech.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not vote for either... the primary reason is because I think it depends what you collect. If you like die varieties, then I believe Coincraft is the better reference. I am a fan of varieties... it adds so much to collecting. If not, then Spink. I like the Spink catalog numbers and ANACs will attribute and list the Spink catalog number if you choose...I think that is a helpful tool.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I was initially for Coincraft if given a choice of only one, for the reason that coinkat said...varieties.
    The recent Spink issues have caught up and then some, varieties are not neglected as they once were.
    Joe
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Which has the better plates? The plates in Spink are cr@p!
  • Options
    I voted for being confused. I think I live in the province of confusion most of the time.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Which one's cheaper? imageimage
  • Options
    I voted for Spink only because it's smaller, and easier to take along to shows. But, I use them in tandem.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Spink lists everything from the Celts and Romans to QEII. It is printed on better paper and used a layout by reign that I like.

Coincraft is printed on phonebook paper and has crappy photos, but gives a lot of data that is not in Spink.

I voted Spink, but just by a nose.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Spink here too, in a tight finish.
    Joe
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I like keeping my Coincraft close at hand. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Sure are a lot of confused folks out there!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Voted confused because I have no experience with the Spink. Coincraft remains one of the most interesting coin books I have read however-really enjoy just browsing through it-I'm always able to find something that arouses my interest.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    If Coincraft had recent pricing, it would be a tougher choice.
    Joe
  • Options
    I am not confused (occasionaly CRAFT imageimage ) I like SpinK for current pricing, and many dealers use Spink numbers, it's also smaller and easy to carry around at a show.. I like the Monarch lay-out although not typical of a guide. Being that it is smaller it's easy to loose track of,
    especailly when your 'friends' covet it, and want to get it away from you....imageimage

I have a 1999 CoinCraft and like it too, more informative and historical data in it, and it's layed out by coin type (such as Red Book).