Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Just got my first Spink--2004 edition

Thank you, Lloyd!

But I have to say that it will take some getting used to this catalog. It doesn't seem very intuitive to try to look up coins. Perhaps it's just me?!

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• Options
    FIrst Spink? I got used to it and actually like the layout by Monarch, esepecially if you are collecting that way, but if you are doing a type
    set of crowns or something it is allot of page flipping, and then figuring out varieties... I think Coin Craft is layed out by type, but don't think
    they have had an update since 2000, I have the 1999 version.

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Hope you get the hang of your Spinks Jester-I've got one coming for Christmas, I hope! I love the layout on Coincraft-every bit of it is intuitive and most importantly, it's friendly, witty, and humurous-it talks to you, doesn't just list dry facts.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Coincraft is my favorite too. If it was updated annually, I would be a subscriber.

The Spink book is OK, but I update it only intermittently (might be time for an update). As a reference, it seldom gets cracked open. Still, it seems to be the one everyone is turning to for the prices, which seem higher than even the great upturn in top grade British coinage. The quote of £100 for an UNC 1904 penny still floors me. Top Eddie VII pennies aren't that uncommon IMO.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Glad you joined us Jester!image I have been using Spink (then Seaby) since the early 1980s and like the layout. You'll get used to it and come to a point where you don't understand why anyone would do it any other way. You need Spink if for no other reason than the numbering system is what eyeryone uses.

I also use Coincraft quite a bit, but the last edition was 2000, so it is getting badly out of date it terms of prices. As a reference however it is first rate, with a huge amount of information that is not in Spink.

ESC is another that I could not live without. I use it almost as much as Spink.

If you are into English hammered at all, North is another that deserves strong consideration.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    congrats on the Spink! You will get use to it very quickly. I got my first one this spring and it's great. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I just spent a few hours browsing through it, and I am getting more used to it. I love the high quality pages and hardback cover. It sort of exudes sophistication and class--it makes me feel barely worthy enough to collect British coins!image

Here's an interesting quote about the differences between American and British coin markets:

"Britain and America are two countries united by a common numismatic heritage but divided by different grading systems. The British ideal is a perfectly struck full round toned coin, the American a coin in the state in which it left the mint, within reason ignoring such features as weakness of strike or haymarking, but taking keen note of any subsequent hairlines or flaws. Many a Stephen penny, regarded as F in Britain is rated EF in America, while many a proof milled coin that would be acceptable in Britain would be rejected out of hand in the USA on the grounds that it had hairlines which show up under ultraviolet light." --p. xv

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    It only just struck me that the Spink book is high quality - nice.

ANYWAY - Coincraft will never be published again --- excluding any extraordinary circumstances of course. This was my favourite and I really think the 2000 version is still worth buying - not for the prices and estimates but for the information, layout, tips and extra varieties - excellent read.

L
  • Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    Coincraft will never be published again
    Spill the beans , Lloyd...no plans for another?
    Joe
  • Options
    If you are right and there will never be another Coincraft, this is a sad day for me! If there is anyone out there who does not have one, you better get it now because people like me will never part with the ones I own.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    Jester, congrats on your Spink, you will learn to love her.

Aethelred, I wouldn't part with my Coincraft either, I liked the layout by denomination from day one.
    Joe
  • Options
    I have always liked the Seaby/Spink layout by reign better myself, but the information in Coincraft is wonderful. I am glad I bought the 2000 when it came out, I have the first and last(?) editions.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still do not have a Spink or Coincraft catalog from this century... sounds bad doesn't it? I like both of them but I tend to like Coincraft because it has some helpful information in connection with varieties. I like the Spink (Seaby's) catalog numbers

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    OMG --- Do Not Pay the price on their website --- they're listing around £20 here and discounts are available. Postage is postage but don't pay that price....
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lloyd, do you sell the Coincraft?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    If so, sign me up for one too, please Lloyd!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    I just noticed something quite annoying about Spink: there are no mintage figures!!! That's unconscionable.

Also, I think they should have the specifics of the coins too, such as weight, diameter, etc.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    2nd annoying thing about Spink-the pictures are awful. They have the best paper you can ask for in terms of quality photo reproduction and they don't take advantage of it. The book itself is built like brick merde house-the binding will last forever and I love the fact that it lays flat when open, but the pictures are dismal.imageimage Nothing is perfect I guess...
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato