Home Q & A Forum

Grading services - How do they rate

I have started collecting only certified coins because I have been burned in the past on ebay, etc.
How do the local grading services stack up as far as which coins from which graders are in most demand. I am looking for an honest interpretation of this question. Coin dealers have told me NGC has coins that are graded the best (as far as accuracy and resale value). I noticed, after submitting 6 gold coins to PCGS that they will not certify a "cleaned" coin, yet, someone like PCI will. Why won't PCGS certify a coin that is cleaned and just put "cleaned" on the label like PCI. They must still have value?

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    A the President of PCGS I have a pretty biased opinion of the quality of the grading services. I am convinced that PCGS does the best job and can give you many reasons why I believe this is so...but everyone would just think I was tooting my own horn. This is a question that is best answered by other collectors. Ask around...to collectors, not dealers, as dealers have a financial agenda.

David