Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Back from the Raleigh NC show.

Met up with Glen and Joe. We pretty much cleaned out all the good Brit coppers from the bourse. I only picked up four. But the other two made quite a haul. image

Here's what I found:

1806 farthing in VF, for my raw type set.
1881-H farthing in UNC brown, too cheap to pass on.
1786 Isle Of Man 1/2d in VF, for my raw 1/2d type set
1937 1d BU and full luster.

We also managed to find a place for lunch and break from the the show. Always nice to hang out with Rhound and Mongoose!! image Maybe they will post some of their haul.
Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I'd been there. That is one show I actually can attend, if given advance notice. I used to do the NCNA Raleigh shows in the fall, as I used to travel with the other dealer here in Brunswick, Jim Atha. Jim has a brother who's a dealer at the State Fairground- Johnny Atha, the original "Holey Coin (Shirt)" guy. I haven't gone since around 2000, though. I understand Johnny Atha had a stroke, and while he survived, I hear it took its toll on him. Dunno if he still sells out there or not. I have a sister in Raleigh, myself, so I'd always have a place to stay. Y'all be sure and let me know a month or two in advance of these things, y'hear?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Spinaker, I'm glad the show was fruitful. I'm waiting for the other thugs to show us what they ripped...image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    I will post some tomorrow, to tired after 3 hour ride, just got back.....
  • Options
    Had a great time, will get the camera out tomorrow. Spinaker slipped me a few that have to be seen, and I picked up a toughie for my British 1d collection. It was a good day even though varied dark material was limited to a few dealers. We got to spend hours looking at and showing each other coins, and also had our usual coin lunch.

Joe
  • Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    I took a quick batch of pics this morning, and wanted to post the 2 coins that were cooperating in reduced light. The other 3 that I want to image will be later today.

This one is a French 1962 5Fr, a gift from spinaker that is simply gorgeous. Tons of luster and color. I didn't realize just how nice this coin was until I put it in good lighting and saw a full cartwheel of color.

This was a pre-Won (Hwan) South Korea coin (1961 KM2) that had the Ironclad Turtle Boat. Made me think of Newbie.
    Joe
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    La Semeuse...image
    When she needs a little conversation in her native tongue, I am, of course, availableimage
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Laurent, her English is pretty good...she spent a summer with spinaker learning to speak "redneck".image
    Joe
  • Options
    nice pics Joe! image And that's "uppercrust redneck". image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options

<< <i>I took a quick batch of pics this morning, and wanted to post the 2 coins that were cooperating in reduced light. The other 3 that I want to image will be later today.

This one is a French 1962 5Fr, a gift from spinaker that is simply gorgeous. Tons of luster and color. I didn't realize just how nice this coin was until I put it in good lighting and saw a full cartwheel of color.

This was a pre-Won (Hwan) South Korea coin (1961 KM2) that had the Ironclad Turtle Boat. Made me think of Newbie.
    image >>

Great Turtle Boat......... I hope some day to get one at least half as nice as the one you grabbed......image
    Thanks for the photos........image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    when will Glen reveal that '51 GB Proof Set from the show??? image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    Mongoose, congrats on the fantastic toners!! Wow!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>when will Glen reveal that '51 GB Proof Set from the show??? image >>

Here 'tis............ image

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    image to all the purchases. Some good stuff is still to be had!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    LM, here's your two months notice...There is a show in Raleigh in January. I haven't seen Johnny Atha for at least a few years in Raleigh.

The three coins that I imaged:
    1939 South Africa dark finish farthing, another gift from spinakerimageimage I'm having trouble capturing the booming luster on the coin, but these pics are better than the morning batch of the same coin.

Being a fan of the British Cartwheel coppers, I picked up this similar honking chunk of copper. Russian 1775 5 Kopeks, minted in EM mint (Ekaterinburg). This is large and heavy!

This last coin finishes my British 1d copper type set for Geo III to Eliz II pre-decimal. I was surprised to find one in Raleigh, and couldn't pass on it. The reverse is particularly nice, the scratches are on the sl*b.
    Joe
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe, what's the grade on the Georger III? Glenn, anytime you want to sell that 1951 Proof Set LMK. I've been lookling for one of those bad boys.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Don,

The '51 is a keeper, some how I have managed a nice run of GB proof sets, I now have a '37, '51, '53, '70, and '71, a decent
    run on types....
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Nice 1806, mongoose!imageimageimageimage
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Don, ANACS gave it a 64BR, a tad high I think.
    Joe
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe, I was thinking more like 63RB. The reverse looks too red to me to be BRN.

Glenn, it's amazing, I run across more 1937 Proofs Sets than '51 and '53 sets. I'm also looking for a '27 set. Northeast had one for sale once, I wanted it but the set was 'out on memo' and it sold.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I think it's a nice one Joe. image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    wybrit, Thanks!

Don, I'm in the door with a 63 too, it is almost 200 years old. Think how favorable the grading services would look upon a US coin of this age and condition.

The obverse just doesn't have enough peeking red to make the RB I don't think.
    My thoughts were 63BR. I like the coin, got a good price, and am happy to be done with 1d coins for awhile anyway.

Time to collect British Coronation proof sets now!image Nice set rhound!
    Joe
  • Options
    Mongoose, I'm truly amazed at the level of your collection!!! You are a true coin-asseur!!! Congrats on finishing your 1d set, and I like that 1806. Also, I'm really impressed with the S.A. farthing--what beautiful blue toning on the darkened finish.

....AND, last but not least, if you ever want to get rid of that useless Siberian junk, you know who to call....image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Jester, Thanks!

You are a true coin-asseur!!!
    Most folks would drop the "coin-", and the "eur" parts. image The dealer yesterday had three of the 5 Kopek beasts... all around or under $20.
    Joe
  • Options
    Jester, you should have seen Joe pushing this young kid out of the way for that 5 K piece ! image He left crying for his mommy!!
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    Jester, you should have seen Joe pushing this young kid out of the way for that 5 K piece ! He left crying for his mommy!!

image Now that got me laughing, especially since I know the truth!

Joe
  • Options
    You can't handel the Truth!!!!!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    The Truth Will Be Known On Judgement Day!!!image
    .....GOD

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    "What forbids us to tell the truth, laughingly?"--Horace, Satires, I.24 image

Nice Raleigh 'rounds' all-around!