Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A question on customs.

I hope this is not too far off topic.
If I understand correctly some countries have a very heavy tax on importing coins..eg Canada, I think.

My question is does this same tax (duty) apply if I was to ship someone a coin or coins that are all no longer legal tender? Replaced by the Euro for example?
Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
"A work in progress"

Wayne
eBay registered name:
Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    For small items ,less than $100 I just put "Gift" and a nominal amount
  • Options
    I never put anything except "gift" on the customs form. I am not sure what that might mean or how it might effect the person receiving it if customs were to open and inspect it.
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    Why use a customs ticket - send it airmail as flat as possible, wrapped in carbon paper with an " urgent application form enclosed" sign on it...

L
  • Options
    This was just a question, not an actual situation. I was curious if anyone knew if the duties would apply if the coins were no longer legal tender so.......of "no value".
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the country. If you sell a coin to a buyer in an EU country and the customs (or insurance) form lists the value, they will probably have to pay at least the VAT, if not an import duty as well.
  • Options
    Sorry to beat this to death but here is what prompted my question.

If I had a "giveaway" and it was for any number of these "no longer circulating" coins. I never put more than $1-2 on the customs form, always mark it "Gift".

Would it still be liable for duties (especially in Canada) where I understand it is very heavy?

Sort of a strange question but I am curious as to what "establishes" this duty.
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Customs officials have this annoying tendency to, and reserve the right to assess the value of anything they choose, and calculate the duties and taxes based on their assessments.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22