Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I'm confused. England's coin denomination help needed

I was wondering if someboby could help me sort the denominations out. I have pennys, new pennys, pence, new pence, farthings, shillings and pounds. is the penny and new penny and the farthing about the same thing? If so, is the order from smallest to highest penny, shilling, pound? And last, how many pennys make a shilling and how many shillings to a pound?
Sorry for all the questions and THANKS in advance!
Joe

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Good resource to start

I'm at work.....hehehehe! But, Wybrit and some others may have other concise links. There are several. Check back often and we'll get more up.

Cheers.
  • Options
    1957joe1957joe Posts: 608 ✭✭
    Thanks Mac, that helps a lot
  • Options
    Whew! Trying to read and understand all that made my head swim. That's one of the main reason's I haven't come over to the darkside yet. Way to many denominations for me to understand.
    Bill Ferguson
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Oh my goodness!! image An unconverted heathen!!!!

We'll get you on the right track yet, Bill!! Don't you worry. On a more somber note, however, I agree that the British coinage system is nearly impossible to master. At least for us laymen.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    As for the order you is O'k !

As for the farthing= 1/4 penny, as for the shilling= 12 pence, as for the pound =20 shillings.

And I hope it wasn't a joke!
    N. N.
  • Options
    1957joe1957joe Posts: 608 ✭✭
    No joke! I was finally sorting my GB coins and I realized I didn't know a thing about their denominations.
    THANKS!
  • Options
    You are welcome!
    N. N.